Help I think I misdiagnosed my goldfishes problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just googling and found an article about male goldfish mistakenly being diagnosed with ich because of their BREEDING STARS!! OMG idk what to do I've posted a couple other threads....please help :( I didn't know about any stars! !:(

I was just googling and found an article about male goldfish mistakenly being diagnosed with ich because of their BREEDING STARS!! OMG idk what to do I've posted a couple other threads....please help :( I didn't know about any stars! !:(

Are you doing meds right now? If not, Just wait for the egg laying frenzy lol. If you are, IMO you should cut them out and do extra PWC over the next few days to clear them out.

My male didn't even show signs of white spots (stars) this year and I've got about 20 fry in a nursery tank right now growing really fast as week 4 approaches :D. If you're concerned about the threads, just comment on what happened and people will understand.

I think it was Ich. He was rubbing on the gravel when I noticed the spots on his gills. I think the transfer from his 4 g bowl to the tank stressed him out. Idk im very sad and my wife is even more bummed......how should I clean the tank?

I think it was Ich. He was rubbing on the gravel when I noticed the spots on his gills. I think the transfer from his 4 g bowl to the tank stressed him out. Idk im very sad and my wife is even more bummed......how should I clean the tank?

Yeah, if it was in the gills IMO it was a pretty advanced case.

The tank that he was moved into had fish too? If so, ick will spread pretty easily and you'll need to treat the whole tank. Most people here would suggest slowly raising the temp of the tank to 86 and adding salt. If you do a search here there's a number of threads describing the process. IME the best way to cure ick is with "Quick Cure". I've dealt with it twice and in both cases, QC cleared it up and all my fish survived. No need to adjust heat (can be harmful to some fish) or the long process of clearing the tank of salt is needed.

If the tank has no fish, then the best thing to do is let it set for a while (a month?) and let the ick bug die off (no fish means no food for it to live off).

Just a note for future transfers of fish from one tank to another, is to do drip acclimation. A search of this can be found here too.

Thanks I did the bag transfer then scooped him out with a net. He was fine while he was in the fish bowl :(

No other fish in there thank god! it was housing a mating pair of zebra danios from my 30g then I realized :thru this site: that goldfish need a proper tank....I never had goldfish...my dad always said they were dirty. Lol so in went ernie...I floated him for about 45 mins but idk. Just sux im bummed.....are there any dwarf goldfishes???? Lol my wife is so sad....I think I will get her some sword tails :) or guppies. Once the tank sits for a while.

Back
Top Bottom