Help I think my ghost knife is dead :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneteaspoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got home this evening (after have done a 40% water change last night and checked the ammonia etc levels and all were 0 and pH 7.8)

When I got home I planned to do another water test & most likely a water change. I had been using

Anyway I got home and my ghost knife was lying on the gravel in the corner, I thought this wa normal as when the lights are on he is always just lying around, but this time he wasn't flapping his fin like he usally does. I teste the water and all levels were fine. I got the fish net and tried to move the gravel around him to see if he would move and nothing.

My tank history, it's a 1 week old 100L which I think is 25 gallons, I already bought the fish (a bristle nose catfish also) he moved when I rustled his hiding spot.

What is going
On?

Please do read the link you were given above. Your tank is not cycled. This means your fish is in a toxic environment.

Sadly, your tank is also way too small for the knife. He'll need, I believe, at least 100 gallons, not liters.

Did you use dechlorinator?

Please let us know if you have questions after you read the link.

I know my tank is not cycled but I was stupidly convinced at the aquarium to do a in fish cycle. I was testing the water twice a day and doing water changes when I noticed any colour changes in the tests.

Woke up this morning and sadly my catfish looks like has been nibbling and there is like fluff around him. I'm so upset. I really tried. I am glad he is no longer in pain.

What is the best way to dispose of my ghost knife.

Also in my opinion. ( not saying you did this) dont impulse buy and always do research on the fish. Just saying because like LyndaB said a ghost knife fish needs at least a 100g tank and a bristlenose cat shouldnt have been added until algae was sufficient enough for it to eat etc....

the person at the store should of had you go with platies or tetras etc for a fish in cycle. Sorry this has happened to you.

thanks everyone for your help... i am a newbie (second time round) and yes ill be honest and I did just buy a ghost knife impulsivly but I did do homework on him and planned to get a larger tank once he grew... turns out my pH was too high for the ghost knife...

my aquarium told me no more fish until I do 3 days of 1/3 water change... then feed my catfish pallets that promote algae growth.... then ill look at buying a school (maybe 4 or 6) of the fish appropriate for cycling but fish I already wanted to get for my tank.

just did 1/3 water change, and tonight when all the water has settled ill do a water test and go from there.

my aim now is to keep my catfish happy... i love watching him wriggle around and i named him "suckie" cos he has a massive suction mouth :)

Back
Top Bottom