Help me! Gourami doesnt look good!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female gourami doesnt seem well, shes got no marks/scars, but is just sitting on the bottom. I am moving her into a QT/hospital tank as i saw my rainbow shark attack her.

Trouble is i have two new rams in the QT tank.
Im just a bit worried about what the rams are gonna do to her. They're already showing interest and pecking at the bag she is in.
I could do a swap, and put the rams into the community tank (ive only had them 2 days, and was going to QT for two eweks before i put them in the community, but they seem ok)

I don't suppose you have a breeding net or anything like that you could put the gourami in?

Rainbow sharks can be very agressive....or very peacful. Could be possible that it is taking a liking to picking at her. I'd try and remove her if at all possible. Keep an eye on your rams for signs of flashing, but any ich they have should be killed with your heat treatment. Remember to acclimate slowly to warmer temperatures.

Yeah, thanks, i will do.

The story so far...
Got the gourami out, she wouldnt last long if i left her in with the shark. Acclimatised for about 40mins in QT tank and released. She went down to bottom and started trying to move about a bit, then the rams started pestering her, so i got them out (without too much trouble). They are now floating in the bag in the 30Gal. I will acclimate for an hour or so. then release.

It's also possible that something else is going on, and the rainbow was only bugging her BECAUSE she was laying on the bottom struggling.

But I have seen my shark pester other fish to death so it's of course a possibility.

I think it might have been that, i only saw the shark do it once. He is generally ok, but when its feeding time he will spend a minute or so eating, then go off and give chase to the gouramis (he doesnt seem to care about the three loachs, 4 cherry barbs and the otos that are also swamping the food). He only chases the gouramis.

Well anyway, my female gourami passed away over night, poor little girl. I'll have to get my male a new friend some time.

My rams have been in the 30gal overnight, they seem ok, but i now know that when my shark is feeding, he will not only chase gouramis, but rams too! He is giving the male gourami and the pair of rams a bit of a hard time - doesnt really help the 'delicate' ram thingy. But they seem to be doing well so far, quite a way to go before im sure there ok!

What type of gourami do you have? If you only had one male and one female, there is a good chance that he was stressing her out quite a bit. If you have a male gourami it is a good idea to get him at least two females, to spread the aggression around so the one isn't constantly bothered. This is especially true with certain types of gouramis.

I have dwarf gouramis, they were sold as a pair, and seemed very happy, the male didnt seem to bother the female.

I dont know what`s happening theses days but alot of Gouramis especially the Dwarf ones get sick and die. I personnally owned 2 red dwarf that i lost in the last 2 months. I now have only 4 Gouramis 2 Kissing and 2 Cobalt.

Same thing exactly happened to me with my last two females dwarf gouramis. And my male died of soem weird hole in fine/marks around belly/red spots desease.( Dont ask i haveno idea what it was

Back
Top Bottom