Help, my moor has ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did two large 50% wcs last night and another this morning. Is it safe to assume the salt is gone and I need to start that over?

Glad to see you are still watching your water. I had to deal with a minicycle which was also induced by treatment. Lots of water changes (2x day and at times more) watching parameters, and and dosing with Stability (which I believe helps reestablish bb colonies) and Prime to detoxify ammonia and nitrites which is what prevented any fish loss during that ordeal. Hang in there, post questions if any come up. You are not alone?

Question for Stefemini and I'm sorry that's not really related to this thread but I haven't been able to find info elsewhere and noticed that you have some experience with it. I'm talking about feeding fish garlic! How do you prepare it before giving to your fish?

Question for Stefemini and I'm sorry that's not really related to this thread but I haven't been able to find info elsewhere and noticed that you have some experience with it. I'm talking about feeding fish garlic! How do you prepare it before giving to your fish?

I have done it two ways. First, to get my goldies to even touch the peas after I got them, I shelled and mushed the peas, then mixed them with a finely chopped clove and a bit of tank water and zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds. Once it was cool, I fed just the peas and they went nuts over them. I have done this every time so far, and probably will until the ich is cleared up. Second, I rough chop one to three cloves of garlic and put it in about 1/4 cup or so of tank water and boil it in the microwave and then put it in the fridge over night. This creates a garlic infusion which I then pour, just the water, into the tank. The infusion makes the entire room smell of garlic for a day or two, but I can live with that.

It's both an immune booster and an antibacterial.

EDIT: I've also read that some people put a little bit if garlic powder (not salt) on the water when they drop their flakes in. I'm not sure how that could work for goldies unless you make your own food and add garlic to the recipe. Or soak their pellets in some garlic juice before giving it to them, that might work

Also, for the infusion, I can't remember if it was 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon per 5 or 10 gallons of tank water. I'm trying to find the post I found it on.

I have done it two ways. First, to get my goldies to even touch the peas after I got them, I shelled and mushed the peas, then mixed them with a finely chopped clove and a bit of tank water and zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds. Once it was cool, I fed just the peas and they went nuts over them. I have done this every time so far, and probably will until the ich is cleared up. Second, I rough chop one to three cloves of garlic and put it in about 1/4 cup or so of tank water and boil it in the microwave and then put it in the fridge over night. This creates a garlic infusion which I then pour, just the water, into the tank. The infusion makes the entire room smell of garlic for a day or two, but I can live with that.

It's both an immune booster and an antibacterial.

EDIT: I've also read that some people put a little bit if garlic powder (not salt) on the water when they drop their flakes in. I'm not sure how that could work for goldies unless you make your own food and add garlic to the recipe. Or soak their pellets in some garlic juice before giving it to them, that might work

Also, for the infusion, I can't remember if it was 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon per 5 or 10 gallons of tank water. I'm trying to find the post I found it on.

Great! Thank you soooooo much! If you ever find those proportions for the garlic infusion, would you please let me know? I feed everybody frozen peas all the couple of times per week. They all go crazy darting for it, and mean EVERYBODY! Bettas, mollies, platties, and shrimp. It's been that way since the begining, they seem to love those peas:) Garlic is something I heard of and been wanting to try for its' immune system booster, and antiseptic properties. After all it is called "the natural antibiotic" . Do you keep just goldies? I love them but have no room for tank that would be appropriate size for them, lucky you:)

You're welcome! I actually started out with a 50 gallon planted tank about 18 months ago, then a few months after that, got a 10 gallon and a betta. The 55 gallon gold fish tank I rescued just a month and half or so ago. I have another 10 running as a quarantine tank that I have some CPDs in right now. I want a 75 or bigger and and Oscar or two, but the huz says four tanks is enough lol

You're welcome! I actually started out with a 50 gallon planted tank about 18 months ago, then a few months after that, got a 10 gallon and a betta. The 55 gallon gold fish tank I rescued just a month and half or so ago. I have another 10 running as a quarantine tank that I have some CPDs in right now. I want a 75 or bigger and and Oscar or two, but the huz says four tanks is enough lol

I hear ya:) oscars are beautiful fish, and those husbands are something else, aren't they:):):)? My Mom loves goldfish so much, but has never had fish. She will be moving in with me at some point and I'll get the decent size tank and scape it for her, cycle and let her select her own goldies. She'll keep it in her quarters but I'll maintain it for her. This is something I've been thinking of doing as her retirement gift. This way I get to enjoy is as well:)

I hear ya:) oscars are beautiful fish, and those husbands are something else, aren't they:):):)? My Mom loves goldfish so much, but has never had fish. She will be moving in with me at some point and I'll get the decent size tank and scape it for her, cycle and let her select her own goldies. She'll keep it in her quarters but I'll maintain it for her. This is something I've been thinking of doing as her retirement gift. This way I get to enjoy is as well:)

That sounds great! I would love to that for my dad, he loves fish but can't take care of a tank anymore, but I'm too far away to help out :(

By the way, I finally found the thread about the garlic you can read it here.

Thanks, but I think I have it mostly under control with the wc, salt, and garlic. My lion head still has spots, but not any new ones and I think even a few less. So at least it isn't getting any worse. His pelvic and anal fins have all gone black tho. He looks like he's been dipped in ink :lol: I'm sure it's normal color change as he's growing fast, but I find it funny. I'll post pictures if he'll ever sit still long enough to get clear ones.

But seriously... the quick cure works and you don't need to do all the garlic stuff... it's inexpensive and you can buy it at Wal-Mart if you want...

Yes Quick Cure does work, I used it for velvet, but you have to take your inverts out and in my case the tanks had only been cycled for few weeks. It must have done something to the still delicate ecosystems and we went through mini cycle on 3 of my tanks! So of wc's, garlic... Other natural things work, I'd say, stay the course:)

I think I'm beating the ick. His little black pelvic fins had white spots, now they don't!

ForumRunner_20130625_180249.jpg

His fins started out white tho :)

ForumRunner_20130625_180439.jpg

Have you been keeping a daily check on your parameters? I am bit concerned there may be an ammonia issue because its not normal color change for a white fish to turn black. Opposite (black to white/orange), is normal.

After that spike, I've been paranoid about it, but it's all stayed normal. Ammo-0 No2-0 No3-10 to 20

Back
Top Bottom