Help! Mysterious illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
The starters: 55gal planted tank, (last I checked, 3 days ago)-ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 15. pH 7 temp 78. Contains 6 rummynose tetras, 1 cory, 1 tiny bristlenose, 1 upsidedown catfish, 3 glass catfish, 1 small striped raphael catfish.

Two days ago, my tiny angelfish passed away after about a week of hiding and not eating. The week before, a couple days after doing a vacuum and water change, one of my corys passed. Today, I came home to a rummynose on the verge of death.

The last time I did a gravel vac was about 2 weeks ago, and I added water last night from water vaporization. I am confused as to why these guys are going like this. I wish I could test the water today, but unfortunately my boyfriend threw away my last testing vile. The fish look very pale, and the glass catfish haven't really come out of hiding. I thought I may have seen some ich on the angelfish, but I wasn't sure if it was ich or maybe some bubbles...? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just use a cup of water and eye ball 5ml....It's the equivalent of about 1teaspoon. You should test soon. Do you have pictures? What have you been feeding? How long has the tank been set up? Where did you get your fish?

I don't have pictures, my camera won't focus that small. The tank has been set up for about 6 months now. The issue I may be having is with the LFS I got my fish from. I got the rummynoses, the angel fish, and the corys from the same store. When I was first starting up the tank, I bought 6 corys, 3 panda and 3 sterbai. After the first 3 pandas died, I *stupidly* went and bought 3 more, they died as well. They had fin rot. The 3 sterbai corys fared ok until the biggest one got a certain size, and died (that may have been my fault with water parameters) but after a water change the second one died and it was around the same size. I also started out with 12 rummynoses from the place. Also, the angelfish was bred there. :/ I don't want it to be that I just have badly bred fish...

This is kinda weird too. When I came home tonight, I turned on the light to find the rummynoses pale as can be and one (looking dead) in a plant. Now that it has been 15 minutes, their color has come back and they are swimming around, seemingly fine.

Fish do sleep yah know. My neons turn grayish and drift around knocking things, swimming head down, head up and even sideways at night. When I turn on the light they perk back up again.

I would say it's your LFS, but I'm not pointing fingers until you get a water test via liquid kit.

Back
Top Bottom