Help needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
M hoping someone can help, one of my panda corys is very lethargic and keeps rolling onto his side, I just manage to upright him with a net.
One died the other day unexpectedly and then I had an otto with popeye.
I've treated the tank with a small amount of salt and large pwc every three days can anyone help??
My other corys seem to e acting ok other than my peppered who are hiding more than usual.
My parameters are good 0 0 and 5

Don't know if this is relevant but he's gone very pale too

Also this may sound really stupid but could my filter be too strong for the fish? I have a a fluval U2 which is for 110l-190l in my 110 tank??

Ok so I've rechecked the water and the parameters are the same. Sadly y panda died but now my other panda is all still and facing the rock whilst my trilined are racing around like fools?? Is it the salt?? I only added 1 tsp per 10 gallon.
Thinking of trying to do a 90% pwc if noone can help :(

Just incase there are any takers out there, I've changed the flow on the pump and the fish seem happier. My pandas are a bit listless if they don't perk up then I'll do a big change in te morning

Corys are very sensitive to salt even in small concentrations. That could be the problem, although a bad batch of fish is a possibility. I'm sorry to hear you lost your corys though, they're fun little fish. Just remember, no salt with corys from now on! I made that mistake once myself. As far as the others racing around, that's what mine did at first with the salt. Swam around like crazy then became listless and died.

Right I'll be doing a large pwc then, I was advised to add it because of te pop eye. Hopefully they can hold out for a few more hours. Thanks :)

maestromad said:
Right I'll be doing a large pwc then, I was advised to add it because of te pop eye. Hopefully they can hold out for a few more hours. Thanks :)

In the future if you have a reason to treat with salt, treat the affected fish in a quarantine tank, or for something like ich where you need to treat the whole tank not just the fish, pull the cories out into QT. I would advise doing a couple back to back 50% pwc's as soon as you can. Take out half, refill with temp matched conditioned water, then repeat. That should remove almost all of the salt. You may want to do at least one more 50% tomorrow as well just to be sure.

I will do, I was wary about treating with the salt even in low doses. My corys must be particularly sensitive - or just enjoy stressing me out.
On a positive I've managed to find a stockist for prime so I've ordered some as everyone raves about it on here!

maestromad said:
I will do, I was wary about treating with the salt even in low doses. My corys must be particularly sensitive - or just enjoy stressing me out.
On a positive I've managed to find a stockist for prime so I've ordered some as everyone raves about it on here!

I love it! Once I started using it I never looked back. I just buy a big bottle whenever I can get to petsmart, and use it to refill my little bottle that has a top that lets me dose by drops. My LFS has it but it is so expensive there it is ridiculous. Like 8 bucks for the smallest bottle... But I picked up my large bottle in September and I have more than half left, even after cycling a new tank, and I have around 56 gallons in all my tanks combined, and I change more than half that water every week. I put a few drops in my smaller tanks every few days in between water changes just in case, too. Also, seeing as it was just one type of Cory that really stressed out and died, you may have chosen a more sensitive strain or just got a batch of weak fish. It happens from time to time.

Thanks one massive water change later and my water is crystal (1st time in ages) and all fish out and playing!
I've added some pics, the only downside is my female cory is missing a barbel I think from the fighting whn she's laying eggs :(

Back
Top Bottom