Help Needed- Unwell fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pound

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi One of our fish is very unwell, I was advised that it was a fungal issue so treated the water with a treatment for this but the fish has now got extremely worse...

I just joined an office where we have had the fish for a few years, we had to move the tank a month ago and there was no issue with them but we have recently had to moved the tank again and a week after he developed a red mark on his fin which we thought may have been from the move. But a colleague who has fish said that it was a fungus so I treated the water with a treatment. Since then the fish has got worse and had read patches all over it. There is another fish in the tank which isn't affected.

The only thing we have done different is moved the tank and treated him with a fungus treatment

We did a water change again 2 days ago in case it was this and then treated the water again with the fungus treatment but the fish is not getting any better and is now not eating or swimming around much.

The red markings have now spread to more fins and around where the fins join the body, and across his body and it seems there is fungus coming from two areas of his scales. Please see attached photo.

I am really worried about him, and do not know what the best cause of action is. Can someone help?

Attachments

• 20170222_102958.jpg
    20170222_102958.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170222_103015.jpg
    20170222_103015.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170222_103016.jpg
    20170222_103016.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 34
What the heck, where is this so called "Fungus" ???
First of all, who ever told you that is a complete Mo##n, and secondly, fish dont get "fungal" infections. A fish has a slimecoat that protects it from mould, aka fungus.
You will see fish get fungus on dead tissue, dead skin and fins. This is nature breaking down DEAD tissue, that which has already been destroyed by bacteria.
Your fish has bacterial hemmorgatic septicima. You need an antibiotic. You can go two routes, order online or go buy from a petstore.
If you want to order online, get the antibiotic here known as "Terramycin" which contains oxytetracycine. Its very good antibiotic, used in livestock and fish farms.
If you want to rush out and buy something quick, it will cost you more, but work faster.
This one is called "kanamycin" and sold as "kanaplex" It will run you around 12-15 dollars and you must combine it with another medicine from walmart called "fungus cure" (theres that word again, a pet peeve of mine, youd think by now mushrooms would live in lakes and the ocenans, not fish what with all the "my fish has fungus!" threads going around on bad fishkeeping sites!) But this is just to pander to the noob audiance, its actually an antibiotic and anteseptic, that will kill the other types of bacteria and outward skin rot from fungus.
It cost 4 dollars at walmart (Nitrofurazone green)

Does that all make sense?

This one is the link for medicated food. Belive it or not, most medications work best in the oral route, kanamycin is one that works best in water, or even saltwater tanks.

Here is the Terramycin Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
It works great by itself.

Back
Top Bottom