Help Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orandas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, im new to the forum and im not sure if im posting in the right area.... I own 2 Orandas that are about 18 months old. I have just noticed that one of my oranads has developed a red/purple blotch that appears to have a whitish film over it, its just at the base of his top fin (i dont know what the techical term is). I have just done a complete water change.
Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what the problem might be and how to treat it? He is happy enough in him self, and swimming and eating like normal.
Thank you
Kirsty

Hi, im new to the forum and im not sure if im posting in the right area.... I own 2 Orandas that are about 18 months old. I have just noticed that one of my oranads has developed a red/purple blotch that appears to have a whitish film over it, its just at the base of his top fin (i dont know what the techical term is). I have just done a complete water change.
Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what the problem might be and how to treat it? He is happy enough in him self, and swimming and eating like normal.
Thank you
Kirsty

as far as i can tell maybe its ich? very common and there should be some medicine at your LFS (local fish store)

Hi, yes I'm pretty sure it's not ich as the blotch is mainly/red purple. How would I upload an image? Sorry I'm new to this site.
Thanks

Via the app you press on the + icon at the top right to upload images.
On the main site you can upload it to a photo sharing site or to your profile here on AA then add the URL to your post in a link.

Oh thank you, I've downloaded the app :) This is my poorly Oranda called Steve, sorry the picture is a bit blurry

image-2511416089.jpg

image-1273649241.jpg

Ah my fiancés choice of name, I got to name the other Oranda (Bertie). At the minute they're in a tank smaller than they should be as we had a problem with our old one and are just in the process of replacing it, the tank they're in is only 21 litres so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? Im not sure about all the water bits and bobs in afraid, I've never monitored them I've just always cleaned it out very regularly.

Oh and it's just Steve and Bertie in the tank, no other fish

I'd say the water conditions are effecting his health. Very first thing you need to do is a large 50% water change using water conditioner. Goldfish are very messy fish and produce large amounts of ammonia. That ammonia can build very quickly in small tanks. It's recommended to have 80L for the first goldfish and 40L for each after that because of their expected size and waste output. when you changed tanks did you save the filter media? Also do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Because of the size of the tank the ammonia is going to keep rising and harming your little guys so the sooner you can get them a bigger tank the easier it will be to keep toxin levels down. Are you able to purchase a liquid test kit? They are an important tool to have.

Thank you for all your advice, i shall be purchasing a liquid test kit in the morning. It should only be a week or so until I can get them a much bigger tank again. And yes I did a water change as soon as I noticed that Steve was poorly. Thanks again for the advice :)

Update on Steve.. His red/purple blotch has now gone and he is back to his usual, healthy self! Thanks for all the advice :)
To anyone that has owned Orandas at what age did they start to develop their wen? Mine are about 18 months old now and no sign, I was told they should start developing when they turn 1, should I be worried?
Thanks, Kirsty

Your fish is not going to develop a wen. The fish in the pic you posted appears to be a ryukin. They do not develop wens unless they are some unusual crossbred variety.

Ooh, they were sold to me as Orandas from the pet shop! That explains the lack of wen then, thank you!

No big deal! As babies, orandas & ryukins look quite similar. Unless the store had someone experienced with goldies that could specifically ID them, they likely just grouped everyone together because they didnt know any better. I see this frequently in the chain stores near me. I am glad he is doing better though!! :)

Oh right, I need to change my user name now then! Haha

Just to check, is Bertie also a Ryukin? He's the silver one

image-4208273128.jpg

image-3847121661.jpg

Back
Top Bottom