Help!!! Sick Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my 6 Anglefish is sick. He/She appears to have "pop-eye" I currently have in my QT tank treating it with "Melafix". Any thing else I should be doing?

I also have a second Anglefish who seems to spend alot of time near the bottom of the tank and not socializing a lot (Actually this one and the one with "pop-eye" were hanging around at the bottom together for the past 2 weeks or so). I think I may add this one to the QT tank as well.

Any tips or suggestions as to what is going on?

All my other fish appear to be fine at the moment?

FYI- I've had the anglefish for about a year. They are long fin angles and are pertty big (5-7" incl fins) My water #s are: PH-7.6, Amo-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate -40. I have a 115g tank.

Well, my anglefish in my QT tank died this morning. What a great looking fish:(.

I'm sorry to hear about your angel. IMO melafix will not do anything for popeye. It is a bacterial infection and needs to be treated with antibiotics and salt.
How is the other angel fairing now?
40ppm nitrates is on the high side. You might want to bring that down to 20ppm it less.

Thanks. Well I only used Melifix because the bottle states that it can be used to treat popeye.

My other angelfish is no longer at the bottom of the tank, but it seems to now hang out more at the top. Don't know if that's better or not.

Can I use antibiotics, Melifix,or Aquarium Salt on the whole tank instead of just the QT tank? I just want to make sure none of the other fish have anything that I haven't been able to see yet.

I've been trying to get my nitrates down for at least 3 weeks (or more). First i was doing 50% changes a day. Than 50% twice a day. Now i only do 50% once a week. Should i go back to twice daily?

Let me know.

coalcut said:
Thanks. Well I only used Melifix because the bottle states that it can be used to treat popeye.

My other angelfish is no longer at the bottom of the tank, but it seems to now hang out more at the top. Don't know if that's better or not.

Can I use antibiotics, Melifix,or Aquarium Salt on the whole tank instead of just the QT tank? I just want to make sure none of the other fish have anything that I haven't been able to see yet.

I've been trying to get my nitrates down for at least 3 weeks (or more). First i was doing 50% changes a day. Than 50% twice a day. Now i only do 50% once a week. Should i go back to twice daily?

Let me know.

You can use antibiotics and salt together and melafix and salt but I'm not sure about melafix and antibiotics together. You can use any of them on the main tank but antibiotics can effect your biofilter.

Does your tap water have nitrate? How many fish in the tank and what size tank? Are you doing the test correctly?
Have you cleaned out the filter housing or done any gravel vacs to help bring it down?

I'll give the salt & Melifix a shot.

I tested my tap water and no Nitrates present. I have a 115g tank. I''ve resently done a gravel vac cleaned the filter maybe a month ago.
Stock includes:

1 common pleco
2 blood parrot
5 angels (just lost one)
4 clown loachs
1 red fin shark
6 ruby barbs
1 black ghost knife
2 Red Hook Silver Dollars (new)

I'll go head and try another graval vac/water change tonight and see if it helps. Maybe another filter cleaning soon as well.

Regarding the salt. I've never used it before. The container states to use 1 round tablespoon per 5 us gallons. So since I have a 115g tank that would be 23 tablespoons of aquarium salt, correct? Mix it in a container of aquarium water than add to the tank, correct?

coalcut said:
Regarding the salt. I've never used it before. The container states to use 1 round tablespoon per 5 us gallons. So since I have a 115g tank that would be 23 tablespoons of aquarium salt, correct? Mix it in a container of aquarium water than add to the tank, correct?

Yes that sounds right. Don't add it all at once. Add 1/4 dose every 6-12 hours so the the fish get use to it.

Back
Top Bottom