Help! Sick Molly, Pictures Included.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good evening everyone,

Well I guess it's not too good for my female black molly. She just had some fry and now she's not looking so good. All her behaviour is fine, and she's eating a lot, but the skin looks like it's peeling off.

I've included some pictures. Does anyone know what it is, and what I can do about it? And could it be contagious to the other fish?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• untitled-1_133.jpg
    untitled-1_133.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 50
  • untitled-2_151.jpg
    untitled-2_151.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 81
  • untitled-3_210.jpg
    untitled-3_210.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 302
  • untitled-4_193.jpg
    untitled-4_193.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 107
It looks like a fungus to me. Very hard to tell for sure but try adding some pimafix and melafix to the tank.

I've had mollies for a year or so and have never seen it, but then I have never had black mollies so maybe it's just easier to see on them. Along with the stress of giving birth a couple of the males have been harassing her a bit.

Could she be scraping her skin off because of some external infection. I haven't noticed her scraping or flashing at all.

Is she the only sick molly? I would try a salt bath in a separate tank or container if you have one available. What other fish do you have in the tank?

Yes, it's the only other sick molly that I can tell. I have other mollies in the tank and a pleco. I change the water weekly and I just tested it and ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are about 20ppm.

Zagz,

I've bought and added the recommended dosage of pimafix and melafix, and the black molly in question looks to be doing a little better. Do you keep dosing everyday like the labels say? I would imagine the water would get pretty concentrated if I did it for a week.

I do the dosing the way it is recommended. They are mild medications and won't hurt anything IMO. Good luck, hopefully they are strong enough to help. I've had mollies like that and unfortunately have only saved 2 out of probably 6 in total.

well it almost looks like it's almost clearing up a little now, but the water is starting to get cloudy...is this normal?

I dosed for the 3rd day, and now all my mollies are barely moving at the top of the water....usually that's a sign that they are not getting enough oxygen. The black molly is looking a lot better, but just not moving now. Any thoughts?

Did you dose by the directions on the Melafix? I've accidentally overdosed on melafix before and had my water get extrememly cloudy (and kill my fish at the time).

I'd do a big water change and see if that helps.

Definately do what DT says, I recently suffered cloudy water from a minor overdose of melafix, and pimafix. Also you can add an airstone or bubbler if you don't have one in the tank.

I dosed exactly what the back of the bottle says, and I don't want to change the water unless absolutely necessary. I'm dosing both melafix and pimafix at the same time and from what I read you dose full strength with both.

Zagz: I added an extra airstone about 20min ago, so we will see if that helps, otherwise I'll do a PWC tonight.

Keep us updated. I sure wish you and the molly the best of luck. I have had terrible luck with mollies and illness. It would be great to have a success story.

Well good news at least, all my fish are accounted for and seem to be looking alright. After doing a 30-35% PWC there is still a slight haze to the water. My black molly (in pictures above) only has a small spot of white left on her, so she seems to be healing up nicely.

I think the airstone and 30-35% PWC saved some of the fish as they weren't looking too good before I did that. Thanks people!

I'm going to skip a dosage today and if the black molly looks like she needs one tomorrow I will half it.

Back
Top Bottom