Help with goldfish please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arok2092

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hate having to bug you like this again, because I'm sure you are busy. But there is something wrong with my goldfish that I simply can't figure out. Just these past couple of days my 3 year old goldfish, Goldeen, has been acting incredibly different and not good. Yesterday she was practically drifting around the whole tank and would barely eat at all. I've switched to Metro Med goldfish food so what she does eat is more packed full of nutrients but as stated earlier, she barely eats. Her dorsal fin is down most of the time and she acts very tired and rests a lot.

I don't see any physical signs of distress on her whatsoever. There are no lumps, swellings, or protrusions. Her fins look perfectly fine and she has no open wounds. The only thing that might seem abnormal (and admittedly I'm not sure if she was like this before or not) is a very small "dent" on her spine between her dorsal fin and head.

The tank is a 55 gallon with currently 4 total goldfish in there. There was a 5th one but he's been in quarantine for a couple of weeks due to internal parasites. However, he's back in tip top shape now and will be reintroduced shortly.

Here are the 55 gallons parameters:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: o - 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0

As you can see the water conditions are very good.

I have no idea what's wrong with her but I really don't want to lose her. I don't even know what kind of medications to use because I have no clue what's going on. Also, she is a Comet if that matters.

You could try some frozen peas - get a bag of the petite peas. Pop some out of the skin and leave some in. It helps with constipation and is a very tasty treat. Good for them as well.

I hate having to bug you like this again, because I'm sure you are busy. But there is something wrong with my goldfish that I simply can't figure out. Just these past couple of days my 3 year old goldfish, Goldeen, has been acting incredibly different and not good. Yesterday she was practically drifting around the whole tank and would barely eat at all. I've switched to Metro Med goldfish food so what she does eat is more packed full of nutrients but as stated earlier, she barely eats. Her dorsal fin is down most of the time and she acts very tired and rests a lot.

I don't see any physical signs of distress on her whatsoever. There are no lumps, swellings, or protrusions. Her fins look perfectly fine and she has no open wounds. The only thing that might seem abnormal (and admittedly I'm not sure if she was like this before or not) is a very small "dent" on her spine between her dorsal fin and head.

The tank is a 55 gallon with currently 4 total goldfish in there. There was a 5th one but he's been in quarantine for a couple of weeks due to internal parasites. However, he's back in tip top shape now and will be reintroduced shortly.

Here are the 55 gallons parameters:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: o - 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0

As you can see the water conditions are very good.

I have no idea what's wrong with her but I really don't want to lose her. I don't even know what kind of medications to use because I have no clue what's going on. Also, she is a Comet if that matters.

Hmm I wouldn't call those water conditions 'very good'. How long have you had the tank set up? Those are the test results of an uncycled tank.
I would increase the volume of your weekly water changes and dose with extra prime to detoxify the ammonia.
That tank is way overstocked IMO.
**edited to add: don't ever apologize for seeking help! That's what these forums are here for (y)

I appreciate the advice. We've had the tank set up for a year now. So it's not uncycled. I suppose it's possible that its overstocked but I've read that you should have about 10 gallons of water per goldfish and this is more than that. If that is incorrect then that does suck but I've got no other place to put my fish. All my other tanks have tropicals in them.

Might I ask what's wrong with the water though? I thought being 0 across the board was supposed to be a good thing?

I appreciate the advice. We've had the tank set up for a year now. So it's not uncycled. I suppose it's possible that its overstocked but I've read that you should have about 10 gallons of water per goldfish and this is more than that. If that is incorrect then that does suck but I've got no other place to put my fish. All my other tanks have tropicals in them.

Might I ask what's wrong with the water though? I thought being 0 across the board was supposed to be a good thing?

No, a cycled tank will have zero ammonia and nitrites, but will have some nitrates.
Have a look for a thread (I think its been stickied) in the coldwater forum.
You will get some great info and advice on goldfish and pond fish there. (I didn't know that comets were pond fish till I came here)

I'll definitely check into that thread when I'm off my phone and at home.

But would such a small change cause this big a deal in Goldeen? Like I said I've had her for 3 years and the water has been from the same source the whole time. All the other fish are fine so I feel like it's gotta be more than just that.

I'll definitely check into that thread when I'm off my phone and at home.

But would such a small change cause this big a deal in Goldeen? Like I said I've had her for 3 years and the water has been from the same source the whole time. All the other fish are fine so I feel like it's gotta be more than just that.

Maybe she's just old ?

Maybe she's just old ?

Non goldfish maybe, but goldfish can live upwards of 25 years so it's likely not that. I am sure her being bred as a feeder fish hasn't helped her genetics but I'm hoping it wouldn't make that large a difference in her lifespan.

Non goldfish maybe, but goldfish can live upwards of 25 years so it's likely not that. I am sure her being bred as a feeder fish hasn't helped her genetics but I'm hoping it wouldn't make that large a difference in her lifespan.

Wow ! That long ! I knew they could live a few years but never knew they could live that long ! I'm impressed :)

Update:
Goldeen's condition hasn't changed much for better or worse, but I have just noticed a bloody streak in her lower bottom fin so it is likely more than just constipation. I am currently fasting her but just gave her a pea. Still unsure of what to do as no other visible signs of injury on her nor are the other fish acting abnormal.

Update:
Goldeen's condition hasn't changed much for better or worse, but I have just noticed a bloody streak in her lower bottom fin so it is likely more than just constipation. I am currently fasting her but just gave her a pea. Still unsure of what to do as no other visible signs of injury on her nor are the other fish acting abnormal.

Have you got your ammonia down to zero now? Blood streaked fins are a sign that she is in a very bad way not that she is constipated. I'm reluctant to offer advice on what course of action to take, but there are knowledgable folk here who have extensive experience in this sort of thing and I'm sure will be glad to chime in and help :)

URGENT: Goldeen has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. We now have her in a quarantine tank but she virtually can't stay upright anymore. We are treating her with General Cure but will more than likely resort to a more dramatic measure soon unless we can get some better help/advice.

Probably going to do a salt bath. Unsure if we should continue fasting or try and feed her MetroMed (a fish medicine food).

If anyone can offer any assistance please do so. She is our 3 year old pride and joy and the reason we so heavily got into fish raising. I want to try everything possible to avoid having her die this early in her life.

URGENT: Goldeen has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. We now have her in a quarantine tank but she virtually can't stay upright anymore. We are treating her with General Cure but will more than likely resort to a more dramatic measure soon unless we can get some better help/advice.

Probably going to do a salt bath. Unsure if we should continue fasting or try and feed her MetroMed (a fish medicine food).

If anyone can offer any assistance please do so. She is our 3 year old pride and joy and the reason we so heavily got into fish raising. I want to try everything possible to avoid having her die this early in her life.

:( I'm so sorry

Unfortunately she died early this morning. I only wish I knew why. There is no clear cause of death.

I probably won't be coming back here.

Back
Top Bottom