Help with infection Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getjiggy42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

My partner is taking care of my goldfish while I am away. It has developed an infection and I am hoping you all can help save my little buddy.

https://imgur.com/a/7ZjBHEv

She originally thought that it was Ich, and treated four days ago with Super Ich Cure. It's continued to get worse, and this morning sent me a photo. The photo does not show clearly, but it is fuzzy. I told her to replace the filter and do a 25% water change per the Super Ich Cure directions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on here, or what steps she should take next?

Much appreciated.

That is not Ich.

You will need some medication.
Depends on what you can get.

API Furan-2 (Nitrofurazone)

or
API E.M. Erythromycin

You can also do a methylene blue dip for the fungal (fuzzy) part of the infection.

Before starting treatment, you need the water perfect.

Changing the water will need to be the next thing to do. If it were me, I would remove the fish to a container/ bucket.

Change the whole tank water and rinse the stones and plants with dechlorinated water.

Make sure the water is temperature matched.

Put the parts back in the tank.

You can proceed with the treatment as instructions recommend.

The big deal is that the water quality stays nearly perfect.

It is a serious looking infection. Treatment may not work, if the disease is too far progressed. I am very sorry about what you and your fish are going through.

I hope it works.

For future, please have the water changing schedule set, and it is often a pet sitter overfeeds the fish which causes water quality issues.

The filter pad contains Beneficial Bacteria / BB which will help process ammonia and becomes part of the nitrification cycle. The AA article link in my signature will help with the info on the cycle and fish keeping in general.

These fish need very regular water changes and a big enough tank for swimming.

The section here for native and cold water fish has some good info for keeping Goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom