high ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7SE7EN7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish looks a little pale so i did a ph test and saw that it is 7.6 or higher (test only goes to 7.6). I dont think it is that big of a deal because i think the ph has always been like that and I have had it for over a year. I know a stable ph is better than a perfect one but should I slowly change the ph and if so how is the best way?
By the way it is only a 10 gallon tank and only one fish, no plants.

I would look into a high range pH test kit to be sure what the pH really is.

But you are correct, that a constant pH is better then trying to maintain a set value.

7.6 is not that high. People run aquaiums in the middle to upper 8's without any problems.

They ONLY reason I can see to change the pH, would be to induce breeding in curtain species of fish. Other then that, there is no need to change it.

As far as your fish, you should check all the normal tests and see what you find. IE NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3, ect...

A PWC is always a good idea when there is problems going on with fish.

He is eating and acting how he always does I think I'll buy some more tests and check the other levels.

How often are you doing water changes and how much each time? With that size of fish you should be doing 50% a week at least for that tank.

The tank in never dirty but I think that is because I haven't been feeding him enough. I am feeding him more now and was going to do like 50% a month. Do you think it needs it every week if it doesn't seem dirty?

The tank in never dirty but I think that is because I haven't been feeding him enough. I am feeding him more now and was going to do like 50% a month. Do you think it needs it every week if it doesn't seem dirty?

I didn't mean to barge in on Anne, just wanted to add some info.

The more frequent the PWC's the better. If you haven't done them in a while, your NO3's are probably VERY high and that is the most likely reason for the way your fish is looking. When changing your PWC schedule, do it slowly. Rapidly changing the conditions of your aquarium are just as bad as letting your NO3's build up. The fish gets acclimated to the higher levels to a degree and the sudden change could throw him for a loop or even perish.

You tank doesn't have to 'look' dirty inorder for it to be unsafe for the fish. You really need to test the water column and see where you stand. I recommend you go to Petsmart.com and print out the price on the AP master test kit and take it into your nearest Petsmart for a price match.

I believe the kit is around 15 to 20 bucks and will give you a ton of info about what is going on in your tank.

Of course you don't have to get it from Petsmart, but you get the point.

Ok, thanks for the info about changing the schedule slowly. I think I'll try and go get a test kit, right now I only have a ph test.

Fish are very adaptable to different levels of pH. Have you tested for other things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.?

A stable pH > a more ideal but unstable pH

It is a Pumpkinseed Sunfish and I plan on getting the other tests but right now I only have the ph

Fish are very adaptable to different levels of pH. Have you tested for other things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.?

A stable pH > a more ideal but unstable pH

If you get fish at an LFS, they might not view it that way. I got some fish at a LFS that had a 1 week guarantee, but you had to bring a water sample along with the dead fish. At the end of a week, a couple had died, so I brought them in. The sotre wouldn't make good on the guarantee because even though nitrates, etc were good, the PH was over 7.3. Ph over 7.3 was their reason for not making good on the guarantee.

Unfortionately itafx brings up a good point. LFS are not very knowledgable and they think that the pH must be perfect otherwise they won't guarentee the fish. A good lfs will guarantee their fish, no matter the pH reading. I once had a pH of 7.5 and was told that it was way too high for Plecos and that is why it died. They loaded me up with pH down which in turn killed my fish but they were happy because I had to buy new fish since mine all died. If you come across a store like that, keep looking for a better one.

rkilling is correct, if your nitrates are very high, you need to adjust the water slowly. Once the water quality is good, at least weekly changes. I have 13 tanks ranging in sizes from 20-135 gals and I do 50% per week a tank and twice on my 75 gal discus tank.

I have to say that the reason the fish is staying small is that it is too big for that tank. You need to consider getting him a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom