Hospital tank troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpaer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, everyone!

I have a strange situation here, and I'm looking for advice. About two days ago, some of my Serpae tetra started acting strange. Taking one of three (I had five) that have died in those two days to the local fish store, it seems I have a dropsy outbreak... Only my Serpae seem to be affected. I have two survivors left, and one seems to be developing a fungal infection for some reason. I have a spare tank that I was actually beginning to set up this weekend, I have a filter, heater, and a hood but no gravel. It's a 10g tank FYI. Well, how can I set it up for a hospital tank tonight and change it into a regular tank when the sick fish starts to heal. Also, how should I treat the poor guy? Please help.

Serpaer

I had to set up and ER hospital tank, cost me 100 bucks too! No gravel no plants
10 gallon no charcoal filter, add 1 tbls salt to 5 gallons water. Add Melafix to water. Let cycle about hour. Add sick fish.
I had fuzzy lips fish. (columnaris) breakout. Melafix helps, but it is ultametly up to the fish to live. Lost 2 blue rams, but Angel lived.
Melafix can be added to regular tank if you choose to treat the whole group as preventative.

Oh, to convert 10 gallon hospital to regular tank... Put charcoal in filter (it will absorb medication) add plants and gravel.
It's all about the filter .......

Thanks so much. I'll get it started ASAP. Also, thanks for the med suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom