How can I help my fish?!? SBD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolodutch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I have 3 fantails n 1 tetra type fish and have had them for nearly 3 weeks now. All were happy, healthy & very active until yesterday =(
I noticed that 1 of my fantails (the smallest 1) was just lying around the bottom of the tank, occasionally swimming around with his friends.
Today he is worse! He just floats around the tank on his side, occasionally swimming but backwards or just flops around. He is still eating & all of the other fish are fine. I read up and thought it may be the swim bladder disorder.
I want to know how I can help him, fed them peas this morning, cleaned water yest & put my heating on (even though its a sunny day) to try n heat the tank up, is there anything else I can do??? I feel soo sorry for him =(
Please help my fish

Rolodutch said:
Hi there,
I have 3 fantails n 1 tetra type fish and have had them for nearly 3 weeks now. All were happy, healthy & very active until yesterday =(
I noticed that 1 of my fantails (the smallest 1) was just lying around the bottom of the tank, occasionally swimming around with his friends.
Today he is worse! He just floats around the tank on his side, occasionally swimming but backwards or just flops around. He is still eating & all of the other fish are fine. I read up and thought it may be the swim bladder disorder.
I want to know how I can help him, fed them peas this morning, cleaned water yest & put my heating on (even though its a sunny day) to try n heat the tank up, is there anything else I can do??? I feel soo sorry for him =(
Please help my fish

Welcome Aboard!

What size tank do you have them in and how much filtration? Also, is the tank cycled?

Goldfish need lots of room and they're dirty (pooping machines) so regular PWC and lots of filtration are a big part of keeping them healthy.

Iv just noticed the tetra is nipping at the sick fish now, iv got a empty fishbowl around somewhere, should I put poorly fish in there?? There would be no filter tho.
Tank is around 40 litres, well it's a big fish bowl so has a under gravel & charcoal filter.
Don't know if tank is cycled, haven't got a testing kit, it was set up a week b4 fish went in.

Rolodutch said:
Iv just noticed the tetra is nipping at the sick fish now, iv got a empty fishbowl around somewhere, should I put poorly fish in there?? There would be no filter tho.
Tank is around 40 litres, well it's a big fish bowl so has a under gravel & charcoal filter.
Don't know if tank is cycled, haven't got a testing kit, it was set tank up a week b4 fish went in.

Yep, stronger fish will go after weaker fish if it means they can have more room to live.

Unfortunately a 10g tank is going do in most all of your goldies in no time and the only solutions I can offer is to upgrade your tank to 4x its current size (40 gallons for 3 goldies), or return the goldies and keep a school of tetras and some shrimp in your current tank.

Here's a link on cycling with fish in tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Its a coldwater tank, I have no heater. The tetra I currently have is one which can live in cold or heated tanks

Back
Top Bottom