I have no idea which course of action to take. PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumferret

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am having my first dreaded bout with Ich. Both my aquariums broke out at the same time as luck would have it. My giant betta, chase, developed about 15 white spots on his fins body and one on his eye. In my other five gallon tank my neon tetras have about three spots on each of them so i think it's in the early stage. I panicked and went to my LFS and bought some coppersafe, took out my two nerite snails and put them in the tetra tank and added it in my buddy chase's tank to hopefully catch it early. But now I'm afraid the copper will kill my plants. I want to treat my other tank but now I have no where to put my snails and shrimps and it's heavily planted! All of the methods iv'e looked at seem to have drawbacks for plants and inverts such as methylene blue, melachite green, and copper. People have recomened salt but won't that harm my plants at the recomended dose of one teaspoon per gallon for about 10 days or so? And I'm worried about raising the temp as some suggest because I have crystal red shrimp that can't take those high of temps! *I have two yellow rabbit snails in the tetra tank that I want to avoid hurting at all costs too. *Love those guys! *I have nowhere else to put my inverts or plants for an extended period of time. Iv'e read so many contadicting suggestions and reviews for and against so many of the same products. What should I do for my tetra tank, and should I take the copper out of my bettas tank with carbon and water changes and treat it a different way? I don't know what to do!!! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Why do parasites even have to exist! So frustrating.

I am having my first dreaded bout with Ich. Both my aquariums broke out at the same time as luck would have it. My giant betta, chase, developed about 15 white spots on his fins body and one on his eye. In my other five gallon tank my neon tetras have about three spots on each of them so i think it's in the early stage. I panicked and went to my LFS and bought some coppersafe, took out my two nerite snails and put them in the tetra tank and added it in my buddy chase's tank to hopefully catch it early. But now I'm afraid the copper will kill my plants. I want to treat my other tank but now I have no where to put my snails and shrimps and it's heavily planted! All of the methods iv'e looked at seem to have drawbacks for plants and inverts such as methylene blue, melachite green, and copper. People have recomened salt but won't that harm my plants at the recomended dose of one teaspoon per gallon for about 10 days or so? And I'm worried about raising the temp as some suggest because I have crystal red shrimp that can't take those high of temps! *I have two yellow rabbit snails in the tetra tank that I want to avoid hurting at all costs too. *Love those guys! *I have nowhere else to put my inverts or plants for an extended period of time. Iv'e read so many contadicting suggestions and reviews for and against so many of the same products. What should I do for my tetra tank, and should I take the copper out of my bettas tank with carbon and water changes and treat it a different way? I don't know what to do!!! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Why do parasites even have to exist! So frustrating.

I think in this case the best thing to do is raise the temp to 86. If you're worried about the inverts I would move them into a large bucket with an air stone and maybe a few plants. Since they can't get rich they should be fine in there. On top of raising the temp increase aeration and gravel vac frequently.

Also neon tetras should not be in a 5 gallon tank. Imo ten is okay but most people say 20 at least.

I think in this case the best thing to do is raise the temp to 86. If you're worried about the inverts I would move them into a large bucket with an air stone and maybe a few plants. Since they can't get rich they should be fine in there. On top of raising the temp increase aeration and gravel vac frequently.

Also neon tetras should not be in a 5 gallon tank. Imo ten is okay but most people say 20 at least.

Thanks! Thats what i'll do for my five gallon. I'll continue to treat my betta with the coppersafe since I already treated it. Do you think it would be alright if I were able to move my ludwigia plants from my coppersafe treated tank to my untreated tank if I rinsed them off really well? I don't want them to die from the coppersafe but I dont want to harm my other snails and inverts in the five gallon tank. Is it to late for my ludwigia anyways? It seems like theyre doing fine but its only been day two in the treated tank.

Thanks! Thats what i'll do for my five gallon. I'll continue to treat my betta with the coppersafe since I already treated it. Do you think it would be alright if I were able to move my ludwigia plants from my coppersafe treated tank to my untreated tank if I rinsed them off really well? I don't want them to die from the coppersafe but I dont want to harm my other snails and inverts in the five gallon tank. Is it to late for my ludwigia anyways? It seems like theyre doing fine but its only been day two in the treated tank.

I think it should be OK but I would check with someone with more plant experience.

Back
Top Bottom