I rescued Goldfish - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyScattergun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am new to forums but glad to have found this site! I need your help with my trio of rescued goldfish! Please play slueth for me and help my three refugees; The Fatty, NoFin, and Jasonfish.

So here comes a real challenge for you goldfish pros!

History: I was staying with a family member when I stole these fish. They were uncared for and left unfed for a very long time, to the effect that one had almost no fins. Thus I dubbed him NoFin. He has no dorsal fin at all. I don't know if his fins were eaten off or if they rotted off or what. But anyway, I started feeding them, bought them a bigger tank, and they started to grow and flourish. NoFin has had a persistant lumpy bumpy back and Ive never known what to do for him more than proper nutrition and keeping the water parameters correct. Other than that, no real problems. Jasonfish was a tiny, tiny thing but seemed perky and otherwise fine. The Fatty, the big girl, has always been the largest and used to bully the others out of her way when it was feeding time. She does not do this anymore. About 6 months ago, the Fatty had a red welt or protrusion on her chest that came, and then almost as quickly was gone. Aside from that, no issues. Then, I moved half way across the country and brought them with me. Transported them in bags with plenty of air and they all survived the trip and made it into a 60 gallon new home. They did fine and now 2 months later, problems. I keep the water about 81-82 degrees, they share their 60 gallons tank with a baby dragon bichir (very small new guy), and a baby pleco, and 1 living plant, a water lilly.

The Mystery Begins!

Okay, most of the problems, I assume, stem from NoFins ever prevailing lack of fins? Anyway, NoFin had his lumpyBumpy area get really cloudy and puffy. It didnt have threads or anything, but it was like a thick white film. I treated for fungus and it did nothing. Then, a week or so after, they started getting white spots (not like salt) on their fins along with red streaks in their tails that seemed to lead from the base of the body to the white smudges and spots on their fins. The red streaks would come and go. I treated with Pimafix and Melafix. Nothing changed. A few weeks later and NoFins fuzzy white area went away and left this nasty, peeling looking wound, there are pics below. There was no blood and it wasnt red, but it looked like his layers of skin were peeling! I did an immediate water change and stress coat and he seems to have returned to his normal lumpy bumpy state.

Now....Heres the status of the fish today. The Jasonfish seems to be suffering fin damage, and the Fatty seems to be in critical condition.

NOFIN: He continues to have his lumpy bumpy area, but is perky and normal and gets around just fine.

JASONFISH: (The smallest one with normalish fins) He has that white stuff on his fins (does NOT look like ich) and the occasional red streak appears going from his tail fin base to one of the white spots. On occassion he super twitches out like hes darting around scared for no reason. Sometimes he will also rapidly twitch his fins, really really fast! He will also bump into the Fatty and shove her around sometimes. (Once he chased her around until she blew out eggs all over!!) Most recently, a new development, his dorsal fin has a huge split from the front and the rest of the fin, pic enclosed. What the hecks going on!?

FATTY: She is in serious trouble. She seemed a little less perky and started to hang at the top of the tank with her head up toward the surface and her tailfin down. (but not gulping air) Then she started a habit of sinking to the bottom and just resting there, but if you came near or when it was feeding time, she would quickly return to normal. She started this sitting on the bottom on the gravel habit and also, when she swims, she super fast twitches her fins sometimes! Like Lightning fast!! What is that all about? Why do they super fast twitch their dorsal or under fins?! They have all started flashing against the gravel, and now the Jasonfish is also twitching out his fins super fast. The Fatty has most recently begun to swell up now too, but only on one side it seems. Asymetrically. And now she has become very lethargic and does not eat much. She hangs at the top of the tank, mostly beneath where the water filter water pours out. She doesnt swim with the others like she used too and ive never caught her gulping air. She swims around sometimes but seems to not use her tailfin very much, as if shes favoring it. ANd most recently, black or dark spots have appeared along her back where her dorsal fin begins, and one on the underside where her vent fin is. Its like an everygrowing band of dark, red or black that traces her body where her fins start. A dark or red spot has appeared on her chest again now too, but this one does not protrude like that one from six months ago. She seems to be swelling but the scales do NOT seem to be standing up very much, so she does NOT have the pinecone effect of dropsy but dropsy may be starting. I would almost say she has some popeye too and her gill beats per minute are also higher than normal!

So what could be going on here? Did her kidneys shut down? Is she filling with fluid? Is it fish tuberculosis? Is she constipated? Is she eggbound? Why turn colors where the fins start? Why would they super spasm twitch their fins like that? This is what I get for saving them from neglect and not knowing their history at all I suppose, but they did so well for over a year. I have enclosed many pictures...please help. I want to give them the best life I can. I have tried malachite green, pimafix and melafix and quick cure (not all at once of course) and plenty of water changes. PLEASE view my pictures and scrutinize. Whats going on here???

423061106131944.jpg

Whitish specks on fin, but they didnt clear up with quick cure or malachite green. They dont seem salt like....
771961106131946.jpg

NoFin in the middle there with his missing dorsal fin and lumpy, peeling area, this was when it looked its worst.
405691106131947.jpg

This picture shows how few fins NoFin has. This is how I found him. :(
699781106131947a.jpg

You can see some of those whiteish spots on Jasonfish's tail here. Occassionally, a red streak would appear from the tail base and lead to the largest of the whitish smudges. Then it would go away.
139401106131947b.jpg

NoFin on the right here, his patchy terrible area there. Ive never seen it bleed but nothing seems to heal it. It stays lumpy and whitish when not peeling like this.
376551106131947c.jpg

Theres a good shot of the white dots on the Fatty's top fin. What the heck are they? They dont respond to any treatments I've used.
375671106131948.jpg

The white smudgy stuff on JasonFish's tail. Could this be contributing to Fattys current state?
187781106131950b.jpg

A shot of NoFins terrible back. Why would he stay lumpy and bumpy and whitish, then all of a sudden for the first time start to peel?
812571109131808.jpg

Their 2 month old new home. No other fish appear to be showing symptoms.
243231112132036.jpg

The beginning to swell Fatty. Notice her tailfin kinda droops downward! She started off puffy only on one side, but shes still getting bigger and Im really worried. Her eyes seem to pop out a bit too.
447771112132037.jpg

And now Jasonfishes top fin is spliting, whats going on!?
49917Startingtoswell.jpg

One more shot of the Fatty who looks like shes exploding. :( What do I do?! She doesnt seem to be pooping, she is hanging out with slightly elevated breathing just below the filter output, always watchiung me when Im near, top fin almost always clamped down and not standing up!

HELP ME FISH SLEUTHS! I rescued these guys and they did wonderful for about a year! I wanot to give them a wonderful fish life!!!

Update: I tossed my old all in one water test strips for a new api master test kit. Turns out the Ph was super LOW below 6 and the nitrates were extremely high, the nitrites medium high. I ran the aqadvisor and followed its advice.

I have added something to maintain a 7 ph, added stress zyme, and bought and added a second filter. So for this 60 gallon there are now two top fin 60 filters. :(

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph for both your tank and your tap water? What is your water change schedule (%/#wk)? When did you add new fish? What type of water conditioner do you use?

Perhaps I am not fully understanding everything but it sounds like most of these issues began recently with the move/new home/new water? Lets start with your water and work from there! :)

First I must say, thank you for truly rescuing these fish! Most think that anything bigger is better than what they were in, but you have truly given them a properly sized tank. Once you get them resettled I'm sure they will thrive for many years with you.

I would start by slowly lowering the temperature of your tank. Goldfish are a cold water species and certainly don't need 81-82 degrees. To high on the temp and their digestive system begins to shut down.

:(

Sorry for the delay in response. Had a couple hard days. By the time I got home from work, the Fatty was floating on her side and barely breathing. She wasnt breathing at all unless i touched her. I purchased syringes to let out some fluid but all that came out was air. :( She died in my hands. :(

I am so so upset about this.

When I found these guys they were, all three of them, in a ten gallon tank. They were not being fed and NoFin as I said didnt even have fins. I immediately got them a 20 gallon and they started to grow. Then I moved and brought them with me (they survived an 18 hour drive with me), and they received a 60 gallon.

My aunt said theyd been neglected like that for at least a year, and they'd been in the house for 3 years. They lived with me 2 years. I know they are at least 5 years old if not older.

They seemed fine when they moved with me to their large new home. Water seemed good.

I want to understand what I did wrong. I am so heartbroken about the Fatty. She would swim up and stare me in the eyes and come grab my fingers during feeding. :(

Back at my aunts, during their neglected stage, sometime after they received their 20 gallon and proper feeding, the Fatty had a gross, lump red welt or ulcer appear on her chest. It was soft to the touch. It went away very quickly. 1.5 years later up here, I noticed a white spot in her right eye. It didnt look raise or fuzzy, it didnt look cloudly, just a white spot. I treated with pimafix and melafix.

It didnt go away. I did water changes, used stress coat and stress zyme, maintained tank, gave it a week (didnt wanna overload them on medications) then treated with quick cure. About a month later she started getting that buldged side, and it was assymetircal. SHe would sit at the bottom of the tank for just a moment then be fine. Then she started hanging out at the top of tank (not gulping air) with her head pointed slightly up and tailfin drooping.

I got Maracyn Two but I think it was too late, she had puffed up, scales raised, and I thought id have at least 1 more week to figure things out but it seemed all at once she rapidly got big. I was debating on blowing my entire bank account on a vet visit (Pray to God not to leave me unable to pay rent) and treat with more meds, but like I said, I come home from work and shes on her side not breathing. :( OMG I am so heartbroken.

My tank looks so EMPTY without her. :(

Id fed her bloodworms, flakes, veggies like peas and cucumber. OMG! I want my Fatty back. They say dropsy is a symptom, and the earliest symptoms I saw, in retrospect, were her red bumpy chest tumor thing that went away as quickly as it had come, and then the white dot in her eye. When she died she had that red spot on her chest again, only this time it was not raised.

What did she die from? What happened?

As for water perameters, they were okay but they seem screwed up right now.
Tap:
Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Tank: ((has 1 water lilly in it, the rest fake))
PH: 6.4 (treating for over a week now with proper PH and salts)
Ammonia: 5ppm (treating for over a month now with water changes, ammo lock, salts)
Nitrites: 5ppm (treating over a month now with water changes and salts)
Nitrates: 120 ppm (treating over 2 weeks now with water changes, quick start, stress zyme, salts and water changes)

First symptoms I saw in the Fatty: Way back during her neglected stages, the raised blood red bump on her chest - it went away very fast leaving no visible scar. Then sometime later after the move to the 60 gallon her white dot in the eye. 3 weeks later the swelling started. (treated with frequent water changes, pimafix, melafix, malachite green, quick cure, maracyn two) during her final days she had that red spot on her chest again in the same location, only it was not raised. Flush with body. WTF?! :( Also she was not pooping when she died, the day before her death there was a smudgy diarrhea looking just a trace from her vent, then closer to her death a red gel like drop form the vent. Considering the earliest symptoms up to her death, what do you guys think happened???

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Based on your very toxic water parameters for a lengthy period of time and the overload of chemicals being added, I have to suspect these as the primary culprits in her developing an internal bacterial infection that resulted in her demise.

Stop adding all of these chemicals for starters. The only thing you need right now is a bottle of Prime and lots and lots of healthy water. NO more salts, ph chemicals, amm-lock, enzymes, meds, etc. Start doing big water changes along with good gravel vacs until you can drop your ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm and nitrate below 20ppm. It will take multiple big wcs to do this and then you will need to continue daily testing and big water changes anytime your toxin levels rise to .25ppm or higher.

Ph issues can be addressed by adding aragonite or crushed coral to your filter housing and should help to stabilize your ph in your tap's range. The priority now is wcs to drop your toxin levels dramatically until your tank stabilizes. Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom