I think my betta has dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not eating isn't a good sign...if he doesn't eat anything at all he's probably very hungry and in pain from it. Try different foods that aren't too filling like bits of boiled spinach.

NatureFish
????

Ill try tomorrow. This really really stinks. :(

He's been hiding in his log again. But he put on a little swimming show for us.

Well he's swimming around some too.

I moved his floating log a little bit a week or two ago so it would be in a better spot. It hit him accidentally. I'm not sure if it was hard. I don't think it was too bad but.

Could that cause this?? :'(

He looks worse. It's hard to tell but. I think so. He's not hiding much at all so far today though. And he is swimming around some.

Not really red anymore where the bloating is. It's more whiteish. :/. And he's lost a lot of color.

I'm going to dose him with pimafix one more time and tomorrow we'll see how things are. I wanted to give the Epsom salts a chance to work too.

I may have to make a decision tomorrow or the next day, and I don't want to. And I especially don't want to have to do it myself. It's worth calling and asking the vet but I'm not sure if they do that.

As much as I love him, if it cost too much, I don't know if I can take him to the vet. I will do the clove oil method if the vet doesn't pan out (I will inquire though). I will have to pull myself together and not cry and make sure I do it right.

Fish euthanasia

This article says to NOT use alcohol. I hate conflicting information... I don't want him to suffer. I want to do it the least painful and least stressful way possible and the quickest possible. But other articles say use clove oil with alcohol...

I do NOT want to mess it up and hurt him if I end up having to do this.

Errrrr.... I hate that too! You could try this video, I really trust Jenny even though I don't know her personally she seems to be very passionate about her fish and she wouldn't make her fish suffer. Here's her video on YouTube:

NatureFish
????

Hope it works out and you don't have to put him down. Maybe he'll get better...

NatureFish
????

Thank you. I sure hope so.

He's swimming around a good amount. Not nearly as lethargic.

He still looks awful though :(

I think my sweet boy is gone :'(

He has been laying on the bottom of the tank for 15 minutes not moving. I'm going to monitor him in a clean plastic cup for a bit to make sure but I think he's gone.

I think my sweet boy is gone :'(

He has been laying on the bottom of the tank for 15 minutes not moving. I'm going to monitor him in a clean plastic cup for a bit to make sure but I think he's gone.

Oh no! Poor Bubbles....I think he has passed. I'm so sorry :'( he seemed like such a sweet and handsome little guy :( I miss him already.

Thank you hun.

He is gone. It's been an hour and a half.

He was. Such personality. So cute. I only have crappy iPod pics. None w my real camera. I have videos too. But some pics are pretty good.

I'm going to bury him soon.

We drained the tank as much as possible and are replacing the water. Gonna add ammonia and monitor it for a few days and move the catfish. May look at another fish to go w them, if there's one that would be ok alone w catfish. Or 2 more catfish.

Thank you hun.

He is gone. It's been an hour and a half.

He was. Such personality. So cute. I only have crappy iPod pics. None w my real camera. I have videos too. But some pics are pretty good.

I'm going to bury him soon.

We drained the tank as much as possible and are replacing the water. Gonna add ammonia and monitor it for a few days and move the catfish. May look at another fish to go w them, if there's one that would be ok alone w catfish. Or 2 more catfish.

Any peaceful non-bottom feeder will do. Nothing more aggressive than a betta. Maybe a dwarf gourami.

Do you have a green thumb? Plant something in his honor! Maybe some white, blue and purple flowers since those were his colors.

NatureFish
????

I think bubbles either got dropsy from your catfish or he already had it before you got him. But if he already had it before you got him there would have been noticeable symptoms so maybe it was from the catfish. I read somewhere that the water can be infected and the fish don't show it sometimes.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom