I think my Fish is Blind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dwarf platy has been acting very strange this past month. I've had him for about 10 months. He is not the outgoing fish he use to be and I never saw him eat. I put a net in front of him and he didn't move. I was cleaning the tank a couple of days ago and I almost sucked him up with the gravel cleaner. I really believe that he is blind. I just moved him to my hospital tank. He is staying towards the bottom and darts forward in a semi-circle about every 20 seconds. He is eating but not coming up to grab it like he use do.

How do you care for a blind fish? Do I keep him isolated or can he have any tankmates. He was living in a 15 gallon tank.

Well, if he has been living for 10 months, he is getting food. What are your water parameters? How often do you clean your tank, and how much? What other fish are in the tank with him, and how many?

He hasn't been blind since I've had him. He was a very outgoing fish for the first 8-9 months. He lived in a 10 gallon for about 8 months and then I moved him to my daughters tank. After a couple weeks I noticed a change in his behavior.

Water parameters are amononia 0, nitrite 0 and ph 7.4. I do a 20% water change every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks with a gravel vac.

Right now I have 1 Molly, 1 Betta, 3 red-eye tetras, 1 serpae tetra, 1 pleco (bn) and 1 panda cory. Everyone gets along and I haven't seen any bullying except maybe from the pleco at feeding time. I know I am heavily stocked but that is why I keep up with my water changes.

Back
Top Bottom