Ich and invertibrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JtheNomad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon tank 36×16×18 and ive noticed the two of my fish have white spots on their fins as well as by their gills. Looking closely at the frint of the tank I also have seen white spots on the glass too. Ive had the set up for about 5 weeks and have done 2 Cycles as my ammonia was high in my 4th week. Now my main problem is that I have invertebrates in my tank and i know most medications that have copper in them will hurt or even kill them, So what are some treatments i can do to help?
Stock
7 Green tiger barbs(1 Sick)
4 Balloon Mollies(1 Sick)
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Pearl Gourami
2 Mystery Snails
1 Fiddled Crab
2 Asain Gold Clams
A few ghost shrimp(Not too worried about them. I just put them in there as a tester to see if i could keep more expensive shrimp like Chrerry or Bamboo)

Paraguard is advertised as working for ich and I’ve used it for another purpose safely in shrimp and snails. I don’t have clams so I’m not 100% sure if they’d be different.

Some people also find that heat and salt treatments along with clean water are sufficient to clear up ich.

Hello Nomad...

You can put chemicals in the tank, but you don't know how your fish will react to something foreign in their water. I really wouldn't do it. You need to clean up the water, so start removing and replacing half the water a couple of times a week and add a couple of teaspoons of standard aquarium to every five gallons of the new, treated tap water. Do a thorough job of vacuuming the bottom material when you change out the water. Reduce what you feed to a little every couple of days. You can follow these steps until you see improvement in the fish. Once the fish recover, I would change at least half the water weekly for as long as you keep the fish.

B

Thanks For the tips

Reporting about a month later and it seems to have cleared up. I think it was just some stress ich as I did 50% water changes once a week since then and reduced feeding to every 2 days. I did lose 1 Green tiger barb, and 1 of my mystery snails, through I'm not sure if it was water conditions or my Fiddler, but all in all no more ich.

Back
Top Bottom