Ich and salt treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarquin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am treating ich in my tank - slowly raising the temp up to 86 and adding salt. My questions on this are:

1) do I only add the salt with water changes? And gradually increase the levels each time I do a change and vac the tank floor

2) do I add the salt 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons straight to the tank? Immediately

Any help would be great

Tarquin said:
I am treating ich in my tank - slowly raising the temp up to 86 and adding salt. My questions on this are:

1) do I only add the salt with water changes? And gradually increase the levels each time I do a change and vac the tank floor

2) do I add the salt 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons straight to the tank? Immediately

Any help would be great

Ich can be treated with only heat easily too FYI.

But to answer your questions, after the initial salt dose, you don't need to keep dosing because salt does not evaporate. So only add after water changes.

Do not add it right to the tank. I usually take a cup of tank water, and dissolve the salt completely in there, then add it to the tank.

Thank you for the help - I raised my tank temp over the last day slowly and it's now on 82. I added 4 tablespoons of salt to a water change which was a 20 gallon water change and the ich has started to go away with minimal signs on he neons.

How long should I leave the heat up for? And do I need to vac daily or every other day?

Back
Top Bottom