Ich problems.... everybody's had one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my situation. 35 gal tank, mollies, platies, pleco and @ 12 Molly fry. Lots of flashing, even with the fry. Raised temp up to @ 87 deg for about 2 weeks, still had ich. Temp has dropped on it's own to about 84, I have to check if our air conditioner kicked on when the temp in the tank dropped.

I needed to do a filter change so I did and ripped the old one in half and left it mashed between the filter and black mesh in my HOB.

I set up my sons 10gal, used one of my large rocks, 2 bags of substrate, transferred the partial filter to the new internal cannister filter and filled the tank with about 80/20 tank water / tap water w/ conditioner mix. A couple of new plastic plants, new substrate and a pirate ship (all new stuff thoroughly rinsed). I figured since I was using all of that stuff from my orig. tank that I wouldn't have to go through a whole new cycle. Then I transferred the fry to the new tank. I knew I needed to treat all the fish so it didn't bother me that I would have to treat the fry tank too. I just wanted to get them out of the breeder box.

I decided that I needed to medicate because my big tank just wasn't keeping the temp up correctly and my fry tank heater is not adjustable. So I got "Ick Away" (I think mostly Malachite Green) from Wal-Mart and dosed both tanks last night. By the way, that stuff will stain your fingers, be careful :) It suggests dosing and then 50% pwc 24 hrs later and then repeating every 3 days for 3 treatments.

My questions are:

Should I lower the temp in my big tank?

Will the fry tank go through a whole cycle the way I started it?

Will the "Ick Away" work the way subscribed?

Will the "Ick Away" be safe for the Pleco?

Will I ever have all the answers??????????? :crazyeyes:

In my opinion, I'd invest in a stronger heater to keep your temps up higher. I wouldn't lower the temps, heat should kill the ich quickly.

Malachite green is rather strong stuff. IMO, I'd dose it lightly and not at what it says on the bottle. Then focus on raising the temps and keeping them stable.

HTH :)

I have never had any luck with ich meds. Your heater should be capable of maintaining 87F. You may want to look into a new one. Salt will also work, but the pleco may not like it. The temp where it is now is just helping the ich to reproduce faster.

Thanks, yes I know I need a new heater I may be able to exchange it but I won't be able to get a new one for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to know if I am doing what I can with what I got now, and if my thinking is correct with the 10 gal not cycling.

Malachite green may destroy your current biological setup. You may end up having to re-cycle both tanks anyway. Also not sure the fry will tolerate the malachite green very well. Is there anyone you know you can borrow a heater from?

No, no way to get another heater. But on a good note, my big tank temp is coming back up. My wife had the house open the last week and that brought the temps down alot. So during Ich outbreaks we'll have to keep the house closed and regulated. I may cut the dose down on the fry tank and keep an eye on them. Hard to see if they have the spots but will continue to do pwc's and watch for flashing. The bottle said that if used properly it should have no affect on the biological filtration. Yeah, I believe that about as far as I can chuck my tank. But what else could I do. I will keep an eye on it.

I know a lot of people swear by the heat treatment method but I have used 'Super Ick Cure' by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals with success every time I tried it and it didn't harm my fish. I used the liquid version but you can find the powder version at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16808&N=2004+113016. It does contain malachite green which will, as mentioned by Zagz, destroy your aerobic bacteria and you will have to cycle your tanks again. As it says in the instructions, you would have to remove any carbon from the filter because that would remove the medication from the water and also with scaleless fishes you should use only half a dose.

Back
Top Bottom