Ichthyological thumb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imahawki

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I dont have a green thumb, but I must have an ich thumb. I posted on here a while back in order to get help getting started. I setup my 35 gallon hex, filter, heater, etc. I waited a couple weeks and added some fish and bio-spira. Waited a couple more weeks and added a few more fish. At this point I'm holding off because I've asked for some gift certificates to the LFS for xmas and I want to have some stuff left to buy... Any way, point is, nothing has died, nothing looks sick, the fish look awesome, healthy, the water looks great, etc. I have ALWAYS had good luck with fish without having to try too hard. Who knows, guess I'm lucky. Any way, here's where I'm at and I am looking for some more suggestions.

Fish
5 rosy tetras
5 zebra danios
5 albino corydoras
3 rainbows

Live Plants
6 or so clumps of "micro swords"
3 clumps of "creeping charlie"

Running a 15w bulb still but looking at purchasing a 96w CF light bar.

So, I'd like to get ideas on some more fish to add as well as plants. I dont intend to do CO2 but I'm using the Seachem Flourish Tabs and thinking about getting some of the liquid as well.

You needn't have mentioned ich. Ich haunts aquarists and is better left unsaid.

That being said, you're off to an excellent start. In regard to plants, if you want to keep low-light, there are many more you can do. Anubias, ferns, hornwort, anacharis (just to name a few). Crypts are also worthy of a shot.

In regard to fish, the gallon per inch rule puts you at 36" if all of the fish get to 2" each. You could go a little further, possibly a "show" fish (since you don't have one). Gouramis may fit the bill here.

I'm not a plant expert.....yet, but If you don't want to get into using CO2 try to keep your wpg under 2.5. I've even seen recommendations for CO2 when your lighting is above 2 wpg. I would be hesitant putting a 96W CF over the tank thus giving you 2.7 wpg. You may be able to get away with it since the hex tank has more depth to it than a standard rectangular tank would. Maybe someone else can answer that. I have 1.5 wpg, so check out the plants I have in my signature to give you an idea.

Back
Top Bottom