Ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matttherat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I moved my fish into a 50 gallon out of there 45 gallon hex tank, and now they have ich.

I went and got some medicine for them, I got quick cure. This stuff seems like its pretty potent and since there irridecant sharks, there verry sensitive, so I was wondering how much I should put in the tank.

The directions say 1 drop for every gallon exept for Tetra, in which case you would add 1 drop per every 2 gallons.

Im not sure exactly how much I should use and definately do not want to hurt my fish.

BTW: there are rainbow sharks and balla sharks in the same tank.

Thnx in advance

I personally wouldnt use the medication with scaleless fish in the tank (it might kill them)
I would use the heat treatment described in the ich article..
(a temperature of 85degees+ for 2 weeks will kill ich) just make sure to add airation, if you have a canister filter bring the spraybar above the water line, if you have a HOB filter lower the water level, and if you have access to a air-pump and air stones and some.. then increase the temperature slowly to 86degees(to be on the safe side) and leave it there for 2 weeks, if there are no sighns of stress then keep the temperature elevated for an additional week..
I would raise the temperature by about 1 degree every 3-4hours or so.. you can probably do it faster but I like to be on the safe side..
I hope this helps.. :mrgreen:

I use IckGaurd II for scaleless fish. It seems to work. It saved a few of my fish.

I had an ick problem awhile back but managed to controle it when I started making sure the water I add was warm when doing water changes instead of straight cold water. Some experts may advise against using luke warm water though as they claim there's lead and settlements in the pipes.

Thanx alot for your help. I had to go away (unfortuantly) for the weekend, and did not get to treat my sharks as I was to afraid.

Now I am back, I think that I am going to raise the temperature to around 80 degrees, and only put in around 10 drops (almost 1/4 of the prescribed amount but a little less) and just keep doing that daily, I will also do water changes daily.

I must of course make sure ahead of time that this treatment will not hurt my other fish, I have 3 rainbow sharks, and 2 bala sharks as well, will they be ok?

Thanx again

I had a ICK problem a couple of weeks ago. I used heat treatment as GreenMagi suggested. I added aquarium salt and raised my heat to about 85.6. Currently none of my fish show any signs of ick.

Well, I havnt done much other than water chnages, but I see no signs of ick as of the past 2 days.

If the ick shows up again, there getting heat, but not salt (irridecant sharks).

Thanx for all the helpfull advice again.

Back
Top Bottom