Ick and Lethargic platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going through my 2nd Ick infestation, and I know the standard procedure is to raise temp, etc etc. However, something thats happening now that didn't happen before, is all my my platys are acting lethargic. My temperature is at about 87 degrees, all of my other fish are perfectly fine, except for my Platys.

They aren't doing to bad, but they have clamped fins, are laying on the substrate. They do react when i approach the tank and tap on the glass, and during feeding time, they come up and eat and are pooping normally. Should this be a major cause for concern? I didn't have this problem last time I had an ick infestation. None of the platys except for one, has any visible white spots.

I'm going through my 2nd Ick infestation, and I know the standard procedure is to raise temp, etc etc. However, something thats happening now that didn't happen before, is all my my platys are acting lethargic. My temperature is at about 87 degrees, all of my other fish are perfectly fine, except for my Platys.

They aren't doing to bad, but they have clamped fins, are laying on the substrate. They do react when i approach the tank and tap on the glass, and during feeding time, they come up and eat and are pooping normally. Should this be a major cause for concern? I didn't have this problem last time I had an ick infestation. None of the platys except for one, has any visible white spots.

Hello Z...

The key to getting rid of the "Ich" parasites is heating the tank water up to 86 degrees and lots of pure, treated water flushed through the tank every couple of days. You need to vacuum the substrate thoroughly where possible and turn off the lights in the tank and even in the room. The parasites locate a host by sight.

Lethargy is a symptom as is a loss of appetite, so with the lights out you shouldn't be feeding the fish. Most of the food will fall to the bottom and feed the parasites living there.

Keep the temperature in the tank to 86 degrees. Follow an aggressive water change routine and add a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of your replacement water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the water.

Follow these steps for a minimum of a week and see how the fish do. It can take up to two weeks for the infestation to run it's course.

Just a couple of the thoughts.

B

Back
Top Bottom