Ick once again.... LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the title says it all, lol. Not sure where it came from, other than maybe I didn't get it all last go around since I had to turn the temps down early due to other complications. Didn't add any new fish, used only equip I have set for the 75G, etc. Normal PWC routine as well. Well, turning the temps back up once again, as well as added more salt. Now the tank is sitting with 1 tsp per 7.5G salt. I had it at 1tsp per 10G and added another half dose, and slowly turning temps up once again. Hopefully I will get it this time. and yes, it's in my 75G, LOL. And the bad part, I'm doing tank tear-down next week because I'm on vacation, and installing the Reactor 1000. Pulling out all plants, trimming roots and plants, and replanting. Also going to rearrange it a bit too, maybe getting rid of the large piece of driftwood, or I might lean it on one of the caves instead. Need to figure something out. Part of the backdrop will be my foxtails, which is filling in nicely in the front of the tank, LOL.

Sucks. :|

Maybe you should wait on the teardown until the ich is gone for sure... if you're able?

some times an empty tank is easier to treat Do you have anything to actually measure the level of salt? Hydrometers are pretty cheap. Maybe your salt levels weren't high enough.

I didn't use salt the last time, I never really used it much because I prefer not to. But I think some fish has flukes as well, so that's why I'm doing the salt this time. Going to need to do teardown next week, it's the only time I can do it. Since work takes so much of my time, I need to do it. Not going to be an easy task, that's for sure. And will clean out all my filter lines too, and the inline heater.

What a royal pain. I hope this is the last time you have to deal with it for a while!

Well, I wonder if it's ick or something else. It's not spreading, and it's only on the head. And one of the spots isn't a small speck, but a larger blotch. Could it be hole in the head? And if it is, how do I treat it? Is it something that's tank-born and need to treat the entire tank? Will get some pics....

Edit:
Here's a couple pics....

At first it looked like ick. But the spots are just around the top of the head, and on one it's in kind of a circular pattern on the top of the head.

75g472.jpg

75g473.jpg

75g474.jpg

75g475.jpg

75g476.jpg

I think that your un-diagnosis is correct. How many fish are affected? It looks almost like a slight injury, early stages of columnaris or maybe just odd clumping of body slime. I would try some mild mela/pima-fix. It may just go away on its own. Ich always shows up on the fins first for me.

Well, not much has changed there, so I don't think it's ick. But now I know I have ick in my 29G, lol. I have 1 GBR baby that has ick, and has it real bad, lol. All over her body. So I'm upping the temp to 89 degrees. Now that I'm done working on the tank for a little while, I can deal with ick in that tank, lol. She was the female that I had moved to the breeder tank with the other female, and after he paired off with the other female, moved her back to the 29G. So question, should I raise the temp in the 10G as well? No sign of ick there yet, and they seem to be doing pretty good in that breeder tank. It's the pair in the other breeder tank that keeps having problems hiding and dying.

Edit:
After closer examination, I found 2 spots on the female and a couple on the male in the breeder tank. Upping the temp there as well. They seem to be doing real good too, and not hiding and dying on me. And seem to like each other. lol

Edit:
I looked at the 2nd breeder tank. The male I got from the lfs is now full of ick. And the female there has it too. Bad. Turning that temp up as well.

Well, looks like my initial diagnosis was correct. I do have ick in my 75G as well. So now I'm treating my 2 10G breeder tanks, my 29G, and my 75G. Hope I don't get it anywhere else, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
Well, looks like my initial diagnosis was correct. I do have ick in my 75G as well. So now I'm treating my 2 10G breeder tanks, my 29G, and my 75G. Hope I don't get it anywhere else, lol.

Ick in 4 tanks at the same time. 8O I sure hope you don't get it anywhere else... how many other tanks do you have??

8 tanks total...

Shouldn't have it in the other tanks. My planted breeder taank with the GBR pair is fine, getting ready to lay more eggs. The planted tank with diatoms and BGA bad is aso fine. 26G was never touched other than the normal PWC before working on all the other tanks. Same with my 55G. Did it before working on the infected tanks.

I got 3 GBR's from the LFS, which 1 died. I placed 2 of my females with one of the new males, and then after the 2 paired up, moved the 2nd female back to the 29G. that's how the 29G got it, lol.

Then the 2 breeder tanks has the new GBR's, which is where the ick came from.

And the 75G got it out of nowhere, lol. It just appeared. I think I didn't get it all when I terminated treatment early last time, and it's just been waiting to strike again.

So that's the 4 tanks with ick, lol. All tanks are at 87-89 degrees now.

Back
Top Bottom