lesson learned....again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOPPIE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So....In our fishshop long ago....we kept tanks a little on the cool side. Fish never stayed very long with us, we sure did sell a lotta fish.

In my tank here at home, I just did the same, temp at about 76-ish. Also, My ph is aways a little on the high side.

I have couple of small mopani wood pieces, and so far, no live plants. My tank is crystal clear, And I been very dutiful to keep water numbers correct.....good solid watee changes 1/2 a week...and I add water as it disapates as well.

I thought my fish were happy, but...a few days ago.....all of a sudden....angels got that white cottony stuff all over themselves, went to their corners and refused to eat and others in tank sluggish to say the least

After much research online....and purchasing every med known to man (fortunately....didnt use any of them yet)and nervous back and forth regarding treatment and medications.....someone told me if I just turn up the temp in water...and changed tank water at about 25 to 30% for a few times...that should do the trick

So, I raised temp up to 80-ish, give or take....did the water change....will change water again in next day or so.....

well....holy moly....that was exactly rhe ticket! They all swimming around.....everyone is eating...and white cotton is going away as I speak....happy happy fish!!!!

sometimes less is more......amazing!!

All depends on what the problem is. Some things, as you know, do need meds. Angels have become really fragile since the 1980s. In some cases, just looking at them wrong is enough to kill them. :( Back in the 80s, I lost 75% of an Angelfish hatchery due to the " Angelfish AIDS" virus and used just about every med under the sun to cure them. I lost 75 out of 100 pairs to that virus before figuring out a cure. Sadly, the cure sterilized the fish but at least they lived. Sadly, many meds have become difficult to get today in the US as well as other countries so alternate methods need to be used but they don't always work. :( Just sayin' ;) Would love to see a pic of the sic fish. (y)

White stuff on fish can be excess mucous that is produced by the fish in response to something in the water irritating them. Doing a big water change dilutes the irritant and the excess mucous goes away. :)

Back
Top Bottom