Ick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camaro2ner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems that ick has found it's way into my main tank, before treating I have 2 fish that may warrant special care. A black knife and a rope fish, anyone have any experience with treating these fish?

put them in a different tank and add aquarium salt as needed for the tank gal of your tank you moved the fish to and turn the temp. up to around 82-86 F and hope for the best... medication will not work on these fish cause of there sensitivity's to the medication

It seems that ick has found it's way into my main tank, before treating I have 2 fish that may warrant special care. A black knife and a rope fish, anyone have any experience with treating these fish?

Just up the temp to 86-88F, be sure to have an airstone and lower the water level a little to allow for more splashing if you have HOB filters because the high temps lower the O2. Keep this up for 12 days. IMO the ich is already in the tank, separating the fish won't really help. You don't need to medicate, and most fish are very tolerant of the heat. IME salt is optional, but not really necessary. The only down side to this treatment is waiting the 12 days, but it is better than poisoning your fish with meds.

The increased temp is a good natural way to treat ick. The higher temps. do burn of the O2 in the water much faster which is why you need to add an air stone/bar and increase the surface agitation. The adding of API aquarium salt also aids the fish in breathing and the parasites hate salt.

When your tank gets ich, it's important to treat the entire tank, which means all of the fish. I'm confused as to why you're removing two of your fish. You would have to now treat two tanks, instead of just the one. With the heat method, you can leave all the fish in the one tank and treat accordingly.

camaro2ner said:

Use use ich attack by kordon or something like that but use the herbal thing and that wont harm your scaless fish

Back
Top Bottom