Idk whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad I took them back because the cashier told me that ppl have been returning the guppies all day... Sorry but I don't want to pay for fish that may die anyway... he was pretty bad... And I dont want my pleco to die. I'm just learning and I freaked out when I saw that he was sick. My tank just finished cycling and now this... I'm pretty frustrated. Two of the ladies from two different petsmarts were not very nice. The one I returned them to barely even spoke to me. I said do you know anything about this? Is there something I can treat it with? She said yep we have medicine "over there" wow... that was insightful... I'm glad I have you guys. I bought some Melafix that cost me almost as much as the fish...sheesh... It says one teaspoon a day for seven days then a 25% PWC... I am probably due a PWC before that... Idk if that will hurt anything ??? It also says remove activated carbon if possible... I guess i'm still a clueless newbie cause i'm not exactly sure what that means... I sort of have an idea... Any extra advice on treatment?? Thank you all so much for your advice it is ALL greatly appreciated... even the guilt trip comments ~wink~

I said i'm pretty upset that I have to treat my whole tank now... she said ... NOTHING... ugh..........................
Oh and I talked to the manager and he said (nervously) "we'll tell people" LOL I felt sorry for the poor guy. K i'm done venting...

Hey, it's cool. You can do a water change before the end of the 7 days, but I'd just let it be since your cycled. As for the carbon... Do you have a sponge filter, or is your filter media cloth with little rock like things in it? If you have the second one, that's carbon, and I don't usually mess with it, but you can cut it open and take it out if you'd like.

Flossie said:
I said i'm pretty upset that I have to treat my whole tank now... she said ... NOTHING... ugh..........................
Oh and I talked to the manager and he said (nervously) "we'll tell people" LOL I felt sorry for the poor guy. K i'm done venting...

That's just how it goes. I'd talk to the manager too (if I wasn't 13) but they wouldn't listen to me.

Everyone is pelting you with posts because what they say is true.
This is your first tank? I'm still on my first tank, and I had fungus spring up on my mollies suddenly, almost overnight. Used these very simple chemicals and they were better right away.
Your first tank never goes perfectly, but it sure feels good knowing you've beaten a problem that has come up on your first tank. This can be treated easily, trust me.

Thanks you CaptainMako... it's sort of my first Adult tank :) HE HE I did get some melafix and if I had had the fish longer it might have been a little different... I barely had them a day... I got them last night... Thank you so much for you help I really appreciate the support (y)

i use melafix and didnt do anything with the carbon (it really helped my corys with ammonia burns)

i use melafix and didnt do anything with the carbon (it really helped my corys with ammonia burns)

Awesome ... my pleco will probably enjoy it since he went through the whole cycle that I was terrible at!!

That's just how it goes. I'd talk to the manager too (if I wasn't 13) but they wouldn't listen to me.

LOL yep... next time I'll call them for you... lol but im a pretty nice person so it probably wont do any good :)

Hey, it's cool. You can do a water change before the end of the 7 days, but I'd just let it be since your cycled. As for the carbon... Do you have a sponge filter, or is your filter media cloth with little rock like things in it? If you have the second one, that's carbon, and I don't usually mess with it, but you can cut it open and take it out if you'd like.

I have the media cloth and as long as it's ok i rather not mess with it :) So I guess I just need to start the meds :D lol... yay! I think i'll know how to do this before it's all over with. I guess I need to learn it all before my 55 cycles...lol ugh... :banghead:

It's alright, you'll get there! At least you have a salary so you can start another tank! I'm still saving for my 29 gallon! It's been 6 months!!!

oh and melafix makes bubbles at the top of the aquarium so i wouldnt suggest using it with labrynth fish if you have any

Homedog, Ive been trying to start a business... FOREVER...Home - Reflections Photography my husband has a salary LOL and it's still very hard... youll get it and it's great that you are learning the value of money and working hard and saving to get what you want. Our budget is really tight so sometimes even the smallest things are hard for me to get as well... but I guess that just makes it all more rewarding in the end huh? Knowing that we have worked hard for this :???

What kind of filter do you have (make, model, etc.)? If there's carbon in it, the carbon will remove the melafix as fast as you put it in, so it's important to remove it. If you have a cartridge with carbon embedded in it, there's an easy way to remove it.

What kind of filter do you have (make, model, etc.)? If there's carbon in it, the carbon will remove the melafix as fast as you put it in, so it's important to remove it. If you have a cartridge with carbon embedded in it, there's an easy way to remove it.

Oh gosh Idk I just got a tetra starter kit tank. it's 10g :confused:

Flossie said:
Oh gosh Idk I just got a tetra starter kit tank. it's 10g :confused:

Does it look like this?

http://www.petco.com/product/107131/Tetra-Whisper-PF10-Filtration-System.aspx

If so, it does have carbon embedded in it. Use the one that's in there (to preserve your cycle). If you take the cartridge out and look at it, you'll see the carbon wad in the middle (most likely). On the back side of it make as small of an incision as possible to pick the carbon chunks out. Tweezers or forceps work great for this and reinstall it.

allaboutfish said:
yup it has carbon but mine does too and it didnt stop it but i dont know.

It does say "remove carbon if possible" and the info I've found on it is if you leave the carbon in, it does affect how well the meds work.

Um I might have told you wrong lol it maybe aqua tech.. it's walmart brand...but I do remember the filter having the carbon in it... and that's what I thought it was possibly talking about... so I have to take that out???

Back
Top Bottom