In a quandry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I did a 75% PWC on my 55 gal, mature cycled tank. The parameters before were 0, 0, 5.0. I just did water change because that's my schedule. I did notice 2 neon tetras were "missing" (presumed dead although I couldn't find them on my mostly planted tank).

This morning I find a dead swordtail and one of the tetras. My gourami has red gills next to his body. I do an immediate water test and it's at 5, 0, and 10/20!

So now I'm doing a 80% PWC and will do another later today.

Could the missing/ dead tetras cause this ammonia and nitrate spike? And that quickly?

The tank has:
An adult Blue/Opaline Dwarf Gourami
5 neons
3 black neons (I know I need more of these)
Now 2 female swordtails (the male was the one who was found this AM)
And 4 albino Cories.

It has 20 HOB filters and both are rated for 50 gal.
Temp: a consistent 78°

Any comments welcome.

PS: wouldn't the Prime I used yesterday keep the ammonia neutralized?

Yesterday I did a 75% PWC on my 55 gal, mature cycled tank. The parameters before were 0, 0, 5.0. I just did water change because that's my schedule. I did notice 2 neon tetras were "missing" (presumed dead although I couldn't find them on my mostly planted tank). This morning I find a dead swordtail and one of the tetras. My gourami has red gills next to his body. I do an immediate water test and it's at 5, 0, and 10/20! So now I'm doing a 80% PWC and will do another later today. Could the missing/ dead tetras cause this ammonia and nitrate spike? And that quickly? The tank has: An adult Blue/Opaline Dwarf Gourami 5 neons 3 black neons (I know I need more of these) Now 2 female swordtails (the male was the one who was found this AM) And 4 albino Cories. It has 20 HOB filters and both are rated for 50 gal. Temp: a consistent 78° Any comments welcome.
I don't think such little fish would put off 5 ppm of ammonia in a large tank. What test kit are you using?

Yep, prime will neutralize it for 24 hours I believe

Is it possible that the pre 75% pwc readings were off due to a circulation issue? The high ammonia concentrated in a dead pocket until after the first wc, then being dispersed - what's the expiration on your prime? I'd also examine the test kit dates.

Just did another 75% water change because the ammonia still showed .25. As soon as I finished filling the tank (temp matched with Prime) another Swordtail died in front of my eyes. :(

I will check the expiration dates on my API Master Test Kit. I believe it's current though.

Where is the expiration date? I can only find lot numbers.

My bad - I'm treating an ich catastrophe in a 10 planted and was trying API stress coat +, on which container is a expiration date. Just checked my bottle of prime - no such date. Sorry.

So sorry about you ich breakout! Checking the expiration date was a good idea though.

Thanks - I'm learning a LOT - just wish the fish weren't paying so much tuition. Had a pregnant red wag platy that - probably due to the stress - suddenly looked like the rim of a Margarita glass. Seemingly with in hours, her two partners 1 male, 1 female showed a couple of cysts. Added salt and elevated temp and started watching. Everybody was laying low, but coming out to eat. My levels were 0,0,5 and nitrate would creep up - do a wc 30% ish. Would be a week tomorrow. The most compromised platy died yesterday and I removed her. Tested and came back 0,0,10 - did another wc. This morning the other two platies are dead and the test .25,0,20. I'm convinced the up-spike was the corpse of one or both of the platies (didn't see them last evening, but that hasn't been unusual). I suspect all the fish were staying stressed because the temps weren't stable - the heater would run the water to 88 or 89 then let it fall to 79.

I never thought of an unreliable heater being an issue. I need to watch mine just in case.

I just tested the water 45 min. after the second 75-80% PWC. Finally I read 0,0,5. I'll keep checking 2-3 times a day till this calms down.

When I add fish I'll do it one at a time and also start feeding a little less. (Maybe I overfed a couple days in a row?)

I think the science/detective work that comes with this hobby one of the best parts - it's certainly keeping my brain engaged and agile.

I agree. I tend to get bored when I feel I have "mastered" something. I'll never get that way with fish.

You might consider a turtle - aquatic turtles share the same environment and some of the same requirements - and add some new challenges plus personality.

Rescued this little guy from a swimming pool skimmer -

ForumRunner_20130921_142242.jpg

Cute turtle!

Checked the water parameters a few more times yesterday and this morning out of paranoia/concern/ fears of a nitrite bloom. Everything has maintained at 0,0,5. I didn't feed them yesterday. I think I had over-fed them combined with the missing and presumed dead neon. I really don't know what else it could have been.

Everybody looks fine except for the remaining swordtail, she spends a lot of time frantically swimming up and down the side of the tank. I added a bubbler on one side in case there isn't enough oxygen from the two HOBs.

I have one survivor - Mickey Mouse platy (of five original fish). He seems to be recovering from whatever ich he had, but is behaving 'stressed' - doing the frantic up & down swimming in the corner, hiding, etc. I suspect that without school mates these fish become 'socially' stressed. Gonna try to get to a LFS today or tomorrow and get some replacement fish, as long as the chemistry stays good.

Grrr... The ammonia looks like it's rising again. It's just a tinge off the yellow since 5 or so hours ago. Maybe from the extra waste of being over fed? I know I'm reaching now. Will check again in a few hours and see if it really needs a change.

Is there any way your BB colony could have been compromised? Your NO3 spike would suggest otherwise - thought I'd ask tho'.

Not that I'm aware of. I'll keep checking. Good thing I have another API Master Kit.

Yep. Must have messed up my bio filter. Up to .25 ammonia since last night. This is nuts. Also another dead neon found floating in the floating plants. Still full color so it must have just happened.

Back
Top Bottom