Injured guppy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arodd525

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have two guppies in a 5 gallon tank. Two days ago I noticed that one of them has this abnormal transparent line across one of his gills, and I can see the red color inside through the line. I attached a picture, it's not very clear but you can see a line on the gill just below the eye on the right. I don't know what has happened. Some background:

I have had them for 2 months and they have both been doing very well. The other tank resident is a kuhli loach. Last week the tank went through a mini cycle with up to 1ppm ammonia and 3ppm nitrite, but I dosed stability and prime every day for a week and did WC every other day, and after stopping stability for a couple for days, ammonia and nitrite are down to <0.05, nitrate is 5ppm. So, this could be from poisoning. In addition, two days ago one of the guppies jumped out of the tank onto a plastic plate (don't know which one it was because it wasn't me who picked him up), and he could have injured himself as well. It's been two days, it does not seem to get better or worse. He eats well and is very active. I am waiting for my Seachem Stress Guard to come in but it will take 2-3 more days, but I am worried he could get infection before then.

I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this, and is there something I should do now before I receive Stress Guard. Thank you in advance!

P.S. the tranparent line looks like he lost some shiny coat on the gill, but he is very active so it is really hard for me to look at the gill carefully and see if there is anything else on there (like rotting).

Attachments

• IMG_4765.jpg
    IMG_4765.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 70
5 gallon tank with a loache...bad idea, minimum of 20 for kuhli. Maybe your fish was trying to scape lol

They were definitely trying to escape a couple of times by jumping to the filter side when the water quality was poor during the mini cycling. I am currently cycling a 30 gallon tank and will move them all to there and leave the small tank to shrimp.

So you wouldn't worry about it? Should I treat him with Melafix for a salt bath?

You can try melafix but its known by kill some type of fish, make sure what is the best medicine for guppy instead of going with general medicine. I wouldn't worry about the fish in a 30g tank, nice job getting a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom