Is My New Snail Dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is my new snail dead?

• Yes, it is dead

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, be patient

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is my new Zebra Nerite snail dead?

Details:

• It was shipped to me last Monday.
  • It arrived two days later on Wednesday.
  • It arrived wrapped in a towel which was still wet.
  • It has been in its shell the entire time so far (3 days).
  • I smelled it today and it wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't putrid.

Nobody has any thoughts?

After I started this thread (nearly 8 hours ago) I did yet another PWC and then threw in two shrimp bites and half of an algae wafer to entice the snail out of its shell. It still hasn't budged.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it is dead.

definitely doesn't sound good. I've collected several nerites locally and moved them into QT and had a few that didn't survive the trip. I didn't notice a smell, but the dead ones were the ones that hadn't moved in 24hrs of putting them in, so I think you may be right.

I'm not sure, snails amaze me. I had a ramshorn out of water for well over a week (he was in my old filter) when I noticed him I knew it was too late.. I put him in some water which I was cleaning stuff with and he popped back out, very weird. Also one of them stayed in their shell for a month after that he went back to normal..

check to see if the muscle on the bottom of the snail is still in place. if the snail is dead alot of times the inside of the snail will fall out when you pick it up. also i put 2 tiger snails in my tank and the one snail didn't move for 2 days. the other one moved after about an hour or so. hopefully yours is a slow mover.

I bought 3 snails; 2 mysterys and 1 apple. Neither of the mysterys lived (I should've kept my eye on the lfs employee) How did I find out? After keeping them in quarantine for 3 days and non-movement; I put them in with my glass shrimp. They immediately ripped the doors off and had a feast. i'm thinking they had the ripe smell, come to dinner! jpchin is correct, the snail was withered up inside.

Back
Top Bottom