is my pleco ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've unfortunately had the displeasure of cycling my tank with fish, as I had no other way. I've been watching them all, and for the most part, all seem well. I noticed the other day the my pleco's fins looked different, and upon closer inspection, almost see through. Is he ok? I have a 29 gallon tank, he eats every other day, as do all the fish, assuming he eats at all. I feed him cucumber, and an occassional algae tab. Water changes are almost daily, as the tank is cycling. attached is a picture, thank you in advance,

Bear

to give you an idea of size, thats a 5 inch wide net he's sitting in, was the only way to get a picture of him, let alone with his fins up.

img_811189_0_92c40e2b37cb0fee561af9934f7c20a3.jpg

He looks pretty good. Usually when they loose color it is because of stress or too high of a temperature. Do you test your water since your cycling? The daily water changes you do, how much water do you replace daily? maybe these daily water changes are stressing out your fish..

roughly 75%, water is tested nightly at about 2330 hours. I know the water changes can be stressful, and I am absolutely amazed we havent lost more fish than we have, I guess I'm just worried as I've never seen his fins that transparent.

He looks ok to me. Nice looking fish.

I do not think water changes stress fish. The benefits far out way the minor annoyance to them of the water level dropping. I do almost 75% every Sunday. My fish are happy and healthy. Usual;y while the water change is going on they are looking for food. Not panicked at all.

rich311k said:
He looks ok to me. Nice looking fish.

I do not think water changes stress fish. The benefits far out way the minor annoyance to them of the water level dropping. I do almost 75% every Sunday. My fish are happy and healthy. Usual;y while the water change is going on they are looking for food. Not panicked at all.

Thanks, he's my favorite, and seemingly the favorite of everyone so far...I think thats why we worry so much, He's the most "exotic" fish we've owned (is that bad that a pleco is the most exotic fish we've owned? LOL), and dont want him to die...He's a spotted sail fin pleco or gibbicept...

Back
Top Bottom