Is this ich or am i being paranoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed some white spots on my dwarf gourami

Could this be ich?

Hope my pics are clear enough.

Attachments

• image-1808667588.jpg
    image-1808667588.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2170919466.jpg
    image-2170919466.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3139225888.jpg
    image-3139225888.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2007143800.jpg
    image-2007143800.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 83
Doesn't look like it to me ich looks more like this

However if you see that worsening post again

Attachments

• image-751490411.jpg
    image-751490411.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 85
Didn't think so but wants sure. Figured it could be early stages

Ok some new pics. Definitely seeing some isolated spots. Wish I could take a better pic but my dg won't say still. Should I start treating. Am I overly neurotic. He seems happy and is eating.

Attachments

• image-2277199910.jpg
    image-2277199910.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3211845454.jpg
    image-3211845454.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 96
Hello Mc...

Parasite infections are most times the result of poor water conditions. I've always avoided this type of thing by removing and replacing large amounts of water regularly. This way, there's no time for toxic wastes to build up in the tank water before the next large change.

If you have the early stages of the "Ich" parasite, then start an aggressive water change routine by changing out half the tank water every three days or so and increase the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees. If you have open areas in the tank, do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. Many parasites will be living there. These steps can be followed indefintely and will really improve the tank's water chemistry.

B

"Ich" Possibly?

Did a water change last night and raised temp a bit

Hello again Mc...

Okay. If you want to take the next step or two, then add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new water is sufficient to discourage the growth of parasites and will stimulate the fishes' immune system. This amount won't damage any aquatic plants you have.

You can also feed a bit of minced garlic to the fish. Just make sure there are no additives. I use garlic from "Spice World". There are no additives, just the minced vegetable. I feed it to my fish very couple of weeks as a supplement. They love it. There's not a veggie available with more vitamins and it's a natural antibiotic. Don't worry, it won't make the water smell.

B

Will the salt or heat harm cherry shrimp? Def seeing a spread on my dg. He doesn't seem sick though. He are normally. Playing in the bubble wand I just added to help with oxygen. And of course his fav activity of chasing the shrimp.

Do I need aquarium salt or can I use reg salt. Won't be able to go to a pet store till Tomorrow. Thanks a lot B for the advice

Think that shows a bit more around the gills. Is that ich or some other fungal infection. Fish is eating and active.

Attachments

• image-2049612867.jpg
    image-2049612867.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 75
Fish with minor ich don't always show any observable symptoms, such as flashing. If it is Ich and you catch it right away, you might not ever see any signs other than the few white spots.

But dwarf gourami are very fragile, often, and I would treat rather than wait, as they don't seem to handle stress well at all. Make sure he has calm water and places to hide, some floating plant cover. Table salt is often said to be bad for fish, as it has iodine and anti caking agents in it. But heat alone will do much to hasten the life cycle and kill off the ich parasites, so if you have to wait a day to get salt, not a big worry.

Though I find these fish very beautiful, I no longer keep them, I got too bummed at all the deaths for no obvious reason, despite giving them everything they needed I could learn about. Good luck.

What is flashing? Does salt hurt shrimp? Hope i don't lose that dg. Has such a great personality.

Flashing means the fish is suddenly rubbing it's body quickly against the bottom or on hard objects, as if it is itchy. it's a term used to describe this kind of action by a fish and often means parasitic or skin problems exist.

I hope the fish is ok too. I really, really love the way they look but I just did not have any success with them.

Edit.. as for salt and cherries, I am not certain. Several sites say they can handle some salt for a short time, but not for too long. Most say they need to be acclimated to salt slowly. But they can't carry ich, so you might do better to net the shrimp out and keep them in another tank while you treat the fish. Just don't allow the net to touch the water of the temporary shrimp tank, to avoid transferring any parasites with the shrimp. Even a bowl would work for the short term, and shrimp do not like high temperatures, so they'd be happier not having to take the heat for the ich too.

Ok then he is flashing. Been 48 hours since temp been raised. My gouramis still not acting sick but my Pygmy Cory's are really subdued. Not moving around much. How long till I know if I have a heat resistance strain of ich or not

I'm treating a 10 gallon with 5 platies for ich right now. One red wag female looks like the rim of a marguerita glass - so many cysts. The other four are pretty clean, they're all displaying behavioral symptoms: lethargic, resting on bottom, huddling in corners together. They're all also eating and responding to the airstone.

I've had the temp 83° ish for three days, added 4 tablespoons of Morton's sea salt (from grocery store) over 18 hours.

The fish continue to flash, and have clamped fins, but, for lack of better term, seem alert.

img_2656714_0_b1dfbccf394e846f2ca9a656ed55f01b.jpg

Well, if you still have ich and it's not getting better in a couple of weeks, you might have the heat resistant strain. But it's not all that common, so hope for the best. There are a lot of good articles on Ich, treating it, and heat alone will work for the common type. Salt helps because it harms the parasite in the free swimming stage, but not the fish and hopefully not the shrimp.. though I would take them out if at all possible.

Vacuum the gravel well, do lots of water changes, it all helps remove parasites while they're waiting to become free swimming. One cyst can become hundreds or more free swimmers once it morphs which it does mostly on the tank bottom.

Think I am gonna have a fun time hunting all my shrimp tonight. Since all the shrimp hopefully will be gone should i use ich meds or does that hurt plants.

Looked at mine compared to some other pic on this thread. And have some white spots but not as obvious salt like look like other pics. I don't wanna treat for wrong disease

My dads tank had ick so i used super ick by API and raised temp to 85 he already had small amount of salt in his tank. His tank is ick free still and it started last Thursday afternoon

Back
Top Bottom