Is this normal poop for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think that my filter is failing. The last couple cleanings I have given my tank I have noticed a horrible seaweed smell and what looks like massive amounts of white poop all in the gravel. My fish seemed okay before I changed the water. I stirred up the gravel and gave him new water and now he is acting lethargic and hiding from the light. I noticed some poop on his leaf which I have never seen before. I got a decent picture does anyone know if this is normal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 426
It seems light color but does not look like it is clear and stringy from the pic.

What are you feeding him?

What are /were the water parameters of the tank? Did he perk up after the water change?

He eats bloodworms and Wardley Betta pellets. I have noticed his fins looked ripped up but he is also leaning on the back of the filter. So I don't know if this is some kind of parasite or not. I noticed a small change in him the day after I did the water change and the stinky smell in the tank was better. As for test strips I've been needing to get some but Houston is still under water. I'm going to try to see if the roads are open enough in the next few days to let me get to the pet store.

Hmm, clean water is key it sound like a touch of fun rot. I would do a couple extra 30-50 % pwc. Water should not stink, maybe smell a little earthy.

I would order online to get what you need. Probably have it faster. Also as a staple I would buy Hikari bio-gold. As for the blood worms, if they are freeze dried let them soak up a bit of tank water in a plastic cup or similar.

Also a dollar store turkey baster to suck up poops and uneaten food - great tool. Just make sure to rinse inside of the bulb!
Prime water conditioner is really good too. Another trick is buy a $ store pack of travel bottles for shampoo, lotion and conditioner - use the flip open top for the Prime and other chemicals, much easier to measure how many drops you use!!!

Thank you for your help. We just got mail service back so I'll probably order something online. The roads are still pretty bad here lots of flooding. The water stinks pretty bad it smells like strong seaweed. It is still crystal clear and not much junk in the gravel. When I do a half water change the smell goes away for a few days. The filter cartridges are covered in slime in less than a week. The only thing I can think of is that the filter isn't working properly. I was going to get some fish Antifungal but I didn't know if I should get API or Prime. I know the Prime one said not to use it with invertebrates and I have a shrimp in there who is healthy. I feel like the betta needs something gentle to help give him a boost. I don't think he needs something super strong like for a fish that is really sick.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom