Kanamycin Flakes with Neomycin combo safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuraBoyX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sick guppy and am curious if I can feed Kanamycin flakes while I treat with Neomycin (Neoplex).

Thanks in advance.

Kanamycin & neomycin are in the same class of antibiotics. Treating with both is overkill. Kanamycin can be combined with furan2 (nitrofurazone) for a broader treatment (furan2 in the water). I would just try the kanamycin flakes for a full course of treatment before considering adding anything to the water. What exactly are you trying to treat?

What would you prefer to start with jlk, medicated food or a water treatment?

Well... I have been dealing with 2 mysterious guppy problems for some time now... I feel they are connected or the same thing - but they may not be.

The major one is something my local fish stores don't seem to know what it is except for calling it a 'necrosis'... A pale band of what seems to be dead flesh just overtakes a portion of the guppy trunk. They act fine while it progresses then they just die quickly once it hits a certain point. Once I see it I remove the fish from the tank and put them in a 2 gallon quarantine tank.

The second problem is some of the guppies develop a curved spine... Almost as if their back half becomes paralyzed. Their backside just droops down... These fish eventually become lethargic and cannot keep themselves stable in even a weak current thay die shortly after.

The first time I saw the necrosis was from a feeder guppy I had purchased awhile back (bad idea). I wanted to buy some basic guppy feeder mutts that had interesting qualities to them to try and breed them in. All of them died within 3 days of purchasing them (only one from necrosis the others just died with no signs of illness). These fish were never in my main tank... Only the 2 gallon tank. The tank has been bleached twice since.

My tank is testing healthy... Most of the guppies seem healthy and fine - but when it hits one it hits them hard and quick. I do my water changes and I have salt (marine) in the tank (sg 1.00). It is a 55 gallon with some salt tolerant plants. There are alot of snails in the tank I am trying to get rid of with assasins but it is slowly coming into check.

One thing I will note though is some of the snails shalls have white swirls in them and some small snails are pure white. This 55 gallon I received from a friend who had it stored in his garage for a few months over the summer. I rinsed it out and wiped it down... His fish are healthy though.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks! :)

Thanks for the info!! This would be my first suggestion- i would not purchase anymore fish from this store. There are obviously some serious health issues with their fish. The curved spines & death is VERY alarming & is indicative of serious disease possibilities (fish tb being one of them). If you have any fish remaining with these symptoms, i would consider euthanizing them.
In respect to the necrosis, lets start with the kanamycin food & furan2 (nitrofurazone) for a water treament in addition to the aq salt. If theres no improvement after the first course of treatemnt, we will go from there. Keep us posted & good luck!!

We need to find out what we are dealing with first!

I meant in general! lol. Once a problem is identified, would you go with the food first or water treatment? I ask because you seem knowledgeable. I've only been keeping indoor fish for about a year and try and soak up info and other peoples experiences. Never tried medicated food.

I meant in general! lol. Once a problem is identified, would you go with the food first or water treatment? I ask because you seem knowledgeable. I've only been keeping indoor fish for about a year and try and soak up info and other peoples experiences. Never tried medicated food.

It really depends on what you are dealing with (internal or external issue) and if anything has been attempted meds-wise and, most important, the water quality. If the water quality is poor, meds are not going to be effective. Most minor problems are remedied through healthy water with nothing special beyond possibily some aq salt. External issues can generally be treated with water treatments (ich is a good example). When external treatments for a external bacterial infection dont work, the addition of a med food can help. Internal infections (such as septicemia) need to addressed with internal meds- med water will have little effect. It really is a situation-dependant judgement call on how to treat and what will be most effective for treatment with a variety of factors influencing the decision. We are not able to ask our fish what is wrong and have to make what will hopefully be the best decision for them based on their symptoms. I realize i am only making generalized statements here but hopefully this makes some sense!

My sick fish died a few days after posting here in my quarantine tank. I ended up trying to treat with just the Neoplex as I did not have any Furan-2 on hand (but I have some on order). I didn't use any flakes.

I decided to go ahead and treat the 55 Gallon guppy 'problem tank' with Neoplex The string of deaths has (at least temporarily) halted... I am still treating with the Neoplex (going on week 2). Things for the moment seem stable...

I did however go out and purchase a KH/GH test kit and tested my GH, KH & PH parameters on the 'problem' thank... I was kind of shocked by the results and cannot make sense of the whole GH, PH, KH relationships with everything I read online.

This is what I tested:

PH = 7.0

KH = 3° (50 ppm)

GH = 37° (616 ppm)

SG (Marine Salt) = 1.001

Ammonia = 0

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = 40

Tank Temp = 78.4°

Can anyone shed some light on these readings? The guppys and the few bumblebee gobies seem to be fine... Yet alot of the Snails have white in their shells. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also, for perspective -

The GH of my tap water is 9°
The GH of my 75 gallon freashwater (no salt) tank is 14°
The GH of my 20 gallon 3" large flowerhorn tank (which is salted with normal Aquarium salt) is 21°

Something tells me these are all high as well.

I am sorry about your fish!!! I hope the others will recover! I am not going to be of much help with your readings for GH/KH as i only know where my tanks stand & i dont let it concern me because they stay fairly stable. However, your tanks are all over the place & i am not sure why. My suggestion would be to post a question about this in the general discussion area so you can get some more advice from people with expertise on this topic. Good luck with your fish!!

Back
Top Bottom