Koi fish dyin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentnerdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My koi fish has been as active as it should be...yet..its been closing and opening its mouth at a really fast pace.....should i be worried??

the filiter on the aquarium broke down...but the water was changed just a day ago...and thats when the fish was moved in there....from the outside

What are your water parameters? It sounds like the water quality is the problem. I'd do a pwc and test the parameters before and about 6 hours after the water change. You could add some aquarium salt to assit the koi with the symptoms.

water quality and such are normal.....could it be a oxygen level drop? cant check for that right? its also doin this weird thing were it goies to the surface..fills its mouth with air and comes back down...and then releases it....

When you say quality is normal what are your exact readings, they should be ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrates at least 10 ppm. If you are concerned about an oxygen drop add an air stone.

acclimiate?

if u mean how did i add the fish to the tank i did it the appropirate way...it took it out of the pond...waitited a a while...aded some of the tank water...waitted a while...and then itroduced the fish

if it is ammonia poisionin can i do somethin right now to atleast help it? i cant get any materials until after three days....will it survive till then?

Do a water change as I suggested in my first post. Add some aquarium salt after the water change. Test your water parameters and if you don't have a kit get one as soon as you are able. A liquid test kit is preferred. You can't tell if your water is fine without testing it. Good luck!

I agree with Zagz. Do some hefty water changes (about 50%) daily until you see it come down. After you get a test kit, please post what your readings are, and epecially for ammonia, nitrite, and ntirate.

Also, sorry for the acclimation confusion. That is what I meant. How did you add them to the tank? It sounds like you did it well, as long as you didn't do it too fast.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom