Large Gourami Agression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoahB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey
i own a tropical community tank (34L) and i have begun to slowly add fish.
before today the tank held 3 tiger bards and 1 Gourami. They all got along fine and i had no troubles at all with aggression. But today i added 2 Black Phantom Tetra and 1 Ram Cichlid. as i know all the fish being added were aggressive fish i was expecting some sort of trouble but not from the Gourami.
i first added the c to the tank and as i began to add the Ram Cichlid everything seemed to be going well with both the barbs and Gourami - having a look at each other but not being aggressive. When i added the Ram Cichlid it immediately sat in the Gourami's territory and this set the Gourami off and it chased the Ram Cichlid but it then went on to chase the Black Phantom Tetra's. The Ram Cichlid hid in one of the ornaments but the Black Phantoms were bashed against the sides of the tank even when they were out of the gourami's territory to the point where i had to isolate the Tetra's in a see through container - this didn't stop the Gourmi, who continued to circle and ram the container by this time it had totally lost interest in the Ram Cichlid.
is there anyway i can get these fish to get along without removing any?

maybe adding another plant or ornament may help?

34 liters is just over 8g...
Definitely under 10g.
Is your tank 34 liters(me think that is what you mean?) or 34 gallons.
If you are 34 liters you were overstocked before you started to list what you added!
IMO there are serious compatability issue also.
Tiger barbs need to kept in double digit numbers and species only tanks IMO(the # are written in many articles..)
Gouramis are tougher then many think and again if 34liters 2 will never make it ,1 is pushing it IMO.
The black phantoms again can be nippy and prefer larger schools.
The ram will be the first victim IMO.
It will not last long as it is NOT aggressive in comparison to the fish you have.
I would be returning the new additions and researching a little better?

+1 to bandit.

Just return, start over, and research before you buy.

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? It happens in all aquariums.

Caleb

thanks for the replies i appreciate the advice. i will return to the retailer who suggested "they will get along fine"
what is the best site to research what is and isnt compatible.

With a 34Liter tank look at tiny fish.
6-Celestial Pearl Danios
Or
6-Chili Rasboras
Or
Do a Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

There are other micro Rasboras that would fit, but I would do a group of ONE species and maybe add Shrimp as they fit easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of stickies on this site for starting a new tank.

If your tank is 34g we are happy to offer stocking advice for that size.

thanks for the replies i appreciate the advice. i will return to the retailer who suggested "they will get along fine"
what is the best site to research what is and isnt compatible.

Hey Noah!
Good for you on being receptive to advice!
Just for clarification your tank is 34 liters?
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
^this link/site^ can help with info you need or you can just ask away here!
many are eager to help you enjoy the hobby!

Welcome!

Okay that's pretty small in the aquarium world.

I would recommend nano fish, shrimp, snails, or bettas.

Caleb

A small tank can still look awesome. This was my 10g RCS tank
14bd5cd5279620413029c711a7029103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom