Levamisole powder for worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I can't seem to get the dosage right. I have a fish in QT that has callamanus worms. And I started off with the recommended dosage of .076 grams of pure powder. Nada. Added another. Nada. I then added .4 grams. Still nothing. Added ANOTHER .4 grams. And the fish is just acting like there is NOTHING in the tank. The worms are still hanging and it's been over an hour with AT LEAST a full gram of 99% levamisole powder in a 10 gallon tank. Wth?! I hear the fish will instantly become lethargic after dosing and then expel worms within the hour. And my fish is just swimming around looking for some more brine shrimp to eat. Oh, I also soaked some brine shrimp in the powder and fed it to him.

I've dosed him a couple days ago too and it didn't work. So I'm about to just pour this entire freaking bag of powder in there! Grrr help? How many grams should go in 10 gallons of water?

So I can't seem to get the dosage right. I have a fish in QT that has callamanus worms. And I started off with the recommended dosage of .076 grams of pure powder. Nada. Added another. Nada. I then added .4 grams. Still nothing. Added ANOTHER .4 grams. And the fish is just acting like there is NOTHING in the tank. The worms are still hanging and it's been over an hour with AT LEAST a full gram of 99% levamisole powder in a 10 gallon tank. Wth?! I hear the fish will instantly become lethargic after dosing and then expel worms within the hour. And my fish is just swimming around looking for some more brine shrimp to eat. Oh, I also soaked some brine shrimp in the powder and fed it to him.

I've dosed him a couple days ago too and it didn't work. So I'm about to just pour this entire freaking bag of powder in there! Grrr help? How many grams should go in 10 gallons of water?

The dose is 1/2 tsp. /20 gallons if you use Vermisol at 7.5% concentration. From my research you are trying to reach a concentration of 184
mgs/ 20 gals.

In order for drugs to work well, you need to perform a large water change before treatment with a good gravel vac to reduce the organics in your tank. Feed normally.

After 24 hours, perform a large water change, and Vacuum up worms from the bottom of tank.

Treat again 2x more every week, performing a large water change and van before treatment and van after treatment.

You can purchase levamisole at Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium

If you email him, he can provide you with a proper dosage for his concentration.

Okay well there is definitely more than a tsp of 99% levamisole in his tank. I did a 80% water change before dosing. It's bare bottom so I can quickly get any worms. But he's not dropping any. I just see the worms hanging out of his anus. There's probably 2.5 tsp in his tank. Maybe I have a *****ed batch.

I purchased pure levamisole powder. It's 99% pure.

That's more than plenty. In fact, I would say deadly. Where did you buy and what brand?

Yeah I feel like he should be dead by now but is just nonchalantly swimming around looking for food. It's someone on Amazon by the name of InvertObsession. Figured he was okay. 5 stars on his ratings.

There is probably like 5 grams in there at this point because I keep adding small amounts every hour waiting for the fish to be just barely lethargic. But he doesn't seem to care. He actually swam through a cloud of the dilution when I poured in some more and didn't seem phased one but. I bought 10 grams. And half the bag is now empty and the fish is acting completely normal. I've also fed him brine shrimp that were soaking in the powder.

My wording is a bit confusing - treat two more times, one every 7 days for another two weeks.

I believe he gave you a placebo. At this point, at 100% levamisole, your fish should be dead. Stop treating, ask for your money back.

Ok he went ahead and refunded me. I hope the new meds come in fast enough. I should get it Saturday. Just hope it's not too late for my fish. He's starting to sit at the bottom of the tank and occasionally swim around looking for food. But he does spend a lot of time sitting at the bottom. Instead of the two worms, I'm seeing maybe 4 hanging out now. He's still eating and everything. But I can tell now, that my fish is noticing the worms and seems a little stressed.

Sorry to hear that. When do you expect them to arrive? Do you buy them from Inkmkr or somewhere else? Pigeon supply stores sell it too.

Estimated to be here Saturday. I don't remember who it was from. Someone on eBay. The guy that I previously got it on amazon sold mainly shrimp so when I sifted through the reviews I realized no one had purchased his levamisole and left a review. So his 5 stars were for the shrimp.

The guy I bought from on eBay only sells the levamisole and all the reviews were from the use of his medicine that he sold and everyone had great success with it. They are recent reviews too so hopefully it works. If not then I'm sure I'd be out of time for this poor fella. At least he's still willing to eat. Should I feed him anything in particular to keep his strength up? Been feeding flakes and brine shrimp.

Ok, thanks for the info. Keep us updated with the fish. Good luck with the treatment.

Ok so I dosed everyone yesterday. A pretty high dose. He snails are not happy. They all came out from under the sand and laying on the bottom. But the gourami looks better. I still see like one tiny worm hanging out though. Do I wait a little longer before doing the large water change? Because I still see worms hanging out of him. Granted it's not the mass amount I saw earlier. But there still is one or two tiny tiny ones hanging out. The guppies and the fry he's with don't have any. They didn't have any signs in the first place but I treated anyways just in case.

Ok so I dosed everyone yesterday. A pretty high dose. He snails are not happy. They all came out from under the sand and laying on the bottom. But the gourami looks better. I still see like one tiny worm hanging out though. Do I wait a little longer before doing the large water change? Because I still see worms hanging out of him. Granted it's not the mass amount I saw earlier. But there still is one or two tiny tiny ones hanging out. The guppies and the fry he's with don't have any. They didn't have any signs in the first place but I treated anyways just in case.

If you can, take the snails out and put them in a bucket with clean dechlor water and some food, like a blanched lettuce leaf. Keep them here until the treatments are finished.

Perform a water change and gravel vac after 24 hours. Repeat the treatment once a week for the next two weeks just before a big water change. Always gravel vac and water change after treatment to pick up any worm that fall out and eggs.

You can also feed during this time with worming flakes with fenbendazole. Angelsplus.com sells them. This is what I feed my Discus one every 3 months to keep them worm free.

I heard you must treat the snails too though? I removed some of the assassin snails because they acted like they couldn't carry their shell. It was weird looking. But I noticed two more of my assassin "beached" over night. They are still alive. Just not happy. The rest are a couple pest snails. The problem is I can't gravel vac. I have a densely planted aquarium. Carpet grass and such. But I will try the best I can.

Soooo since I see the gourami still has a couple worms I still stick with the water change and then repeat the dosage next week? He looks better. He had 4 or 5 worms hanging out yesterday. One was really BIG but now I have to look REALLY close to see one or two tiny tiny things hanging out. Thanks for the advice. It's hard finding accurate info on this stuff. Too much contradictory!

Levamisole is not supposed to kill snails - my nerites just survived a treatment. But if you notice that your snails are being affected and you still want them, is to take them out. You can treat them in their bucket but with a lower dosage. Change the snail bucket water every day to keep if fresh.

Vacuuming is important to lower the organics in the tank and pick up any worms and eggs. Vacuum every day since you can't do a thorough job at one go.

You can also put epsom salt in the tank to help him expel the worms at 1 TBS/10 gallons. Treat with epsom for couple of days. If you change water, replace what you have taken out.

You can buy Epsom salt at Walmart or Target. Just be sure that it has no fragrance or additives.

Back
Top Bottom