Major fin damage: parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calcifer10000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I posted awhile back about ich; thanks for the replies. I think my tank's ich case is gone, but a few of the fish seem to be missing fins, while others have perfect fins and are just fine. It shouldn't be water quality and I haven't added anything new, so I was thinking, could it be parasites? I saw a red dot on one fish's fins; could that be a parasite?

If I possibly have parasites in the tank, how should I treat the tank, other than medication? Will temperature and/or salt help the situation at all?

Thank you for any advice!

Finrot is a very common secondary infection in fish that recently had a bout with ich. There are meds that are supposed to cure it, but I've had most success with 30- 50% water changes every other day. Adding a mild antibiotic like MelaFix helps too. If you eliminate the bacteria causing the infection, the fins will grow back; although sometimes not as nice as they originally were.

I would keep a close eye on the fish with the red spot - might be septicemia, which should be aggressively treated. Start out with big frequent water changes. If it gets worse, or doesn't clear up in a few days, try a broad spectrum antibiotic like Maracyn.

I also think it would be good to use Melafix. I have had a lot of success with it.

If you have to use the Maracyn, keep your test kit handy. I treated a 55 gallon tank with Maracyn for cyanobacteria, and I found that it did affect the bio filter. I did some extra water changes and all was well, but just be prepared. HTH

I've been using Melafix for several days now, so I'll continue that. Should I combine another antibacterial medication along with it, or keep medications separate?

The red spot seems not to be in the fin, but hanging on the outer surface. Maybe I could try removing it...

When my brother had ich, or rather his fish had ich, he had several with major fin loss. Melafix and water changes are your best remedy. I would leave the red spot alone for now.

Back
Top Bottom