Malawi cichlid ill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regz8000

Aquarium Advice Activist
My largest Malawi has got a disease of such, so I went to my Lfs seeking advice which was a STUPID idea because he told me to kill the fish. I knew this would not solve it because I have no new additions so it's through the water. If I kill the fish( which I don't want to) it would still be in the water. Pictures included which show a cloudy bubble eye and he has what I think is a fungus around his fins and gills, any help on how to treat this would be much appreciated thanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396896558.663994.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396896575.152354.jpg

Minimal ammonia and all the rest are zero which was done once by me and also the Lfs

My test kit is api master and my Lfs use a different one but not strips, I tested to check out if there was any water problems and was skeptical so got the Lfs to do one too

So what's up with the ammonia present? Is it a well stocked, well filtered tank? How often do you change water?

It's well stocked but it is fitted with a ehiem external canister filter which is overkill and it's cleaned out every week about 45% with tap safe and filter is done even more regular so is always cleaned out. It's stocked because of breeding an I only started with a few and they bred like mad.

Sounds like your overstocked and under filtered, leaving your water quality a bit less than desirable, how bigs the tank? Can you take some to the Lfs??

Tank is about 500 litres the bred fish are still very small but are being removed very soon, the filter is meant for more but I never trust that and so always clean it out. As I say it's only the one fish with the problem and would like to work out a way to save him thanks

Clean water is the way to save him, most issues like yours can be resolved by simply having extremely clean water, a weekly 50% wc with conditioned tap water is the trick! Can you set up a hospital tank?

Would love a hospital tank but misses and room would cross off that option and I do 45% now so easily can take out a bit more which I do currently do once a week thanks

Back
Top Bottom