Maracyn 2, Pimafix and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a female black molly who has repeatedly exhibited what looks like patches of fungus. She is treated and recovers in a 5gal hospital tank only to have her symptoms reappear a few days after returning to the main tank. The main 84gal heavily planted community tank has Neon Tetras, Congo Tetras, Australian Rainbows, Otos, Siamese Algae Eaters, Blue Gouramis and a Dwarf Gourami and Zebra Danios. I guess I need to treat the main tank. I was planning to use either Maracyn 2 or Pimafix. Will either of those hurt the plants? Please help.

Did a quick google search and found the following:

"PimaFix can be used in ornamental ponds, water gardens, aquariums, and fish holding tanks containing goldfish, koi, live plants, snails, tadpoles and frogs."

Source: Use PimaFix to Treat Fungal Infections on Pond Fish

"[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]It [Maracyn 2] doesn't affect plants at all. Amano shrimp are also ok, but filter feeding shrimp should be removed prior to treatment."

[/FONT]Source: Re: Maracyn and plants

Hope it helps!

i've used pimafix for my mollys for the same problems and wasn't impressed. actually didnt notice any improvement at all. maracyn 2 discolors your water, which pisses me off, so use your judgement there. i also didnt notice any difference with those meds either. none of thos products affected my plants

do you use aquarium salt? you would be surprised at how much salt helps with the health of your mollies. i dont know how you're other fish react to salt. this is where i shut up and let the experts chime in...

Otos, SAE's and plants don't get along with salt. Funny Maracyn 2 never discolored my water any time I've used it.

my bad. i think it was maracyn tc that discolered my water. if i remember correctly it turned it yellow.

Do you think the fish is getting stressed making her susceptable you have quite a lot of very active fish, i wonder if you found her a quieter tank or added a few more mollys for comfort it might help. di

Thank you to everyone who answered me with advice. The treatment has been done and all seems to be well in the tank. I opted for Pimafix. I was hesitant to use antibiotic (Maracyn 2) on fully healthy fish. At the start of the treatment I happened to be in an aquarium focused independent pet store, whose owner's advice I respect. He advised aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon / 5 gal. I asked about Otos, Tetras, and plants and he said that he uses salt at that concentration in all his tanks. I added the salt and completed the treatment. All seemed well. At the completion of the course of pimafix, I did a 25% water change but did not top up the salt. I was concerned about the effect on the plants, not that any ill effects were evident. I sat on the fence until the next 25% water change, but since all seemed well with plants, fish and snails, I calculated the salt necessary to bring the concentration back up to the recommended level and will maintain it there.

If you are going to keep using salt I recommend you get a low salinity hydrometer to keep track of how much you have. Over time and many water changes it would be impossible to know how much salt is actually in there without testing.

Thanks!! I'lll pick one up, but a question. Won't the salt all stay in solution? Can't I assume that the salinity in the tank will be uniform and if I remove a certain volume of water, then the amount of salt removed will be calculable?

And another question..

Would you continue to use the salt?

Back
Top Bottom