melafix and prazipro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiebug

Aquarium Advice Regular
And salt?

So I just posted within the hour about my 11 year old goldfish in my 55 gallon with clamped fins, red veins/tail, and frayed tail, along with lethargy and sitting in the bubbles.:( I added 2 small fantails about a week ago from the QT tank. They were in QT for about 3 weeks and at the start I treated with prazipro due to some depression... but I didn't follow through with the 2nd dose.

So now I'm worried! The fantails have been pooping obsessively and I have been overfeeding, so I did a W/C thinking maybe it is just nitrite stress and added about a 1/4 cup of salt. And then I added 5 tsps of melafix to aid with the tail. But now I'm thinking I want to treat for flukes. Can I do prazi, mela, and salt all at once or will one of them have to wait? And what would you recommend I do for the prazi treatment?

My water readings are on the other post.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Comet goldfish
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Please see the "goldfish clenching fins" or something similar post by me
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
55 gallons, about 3-4 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
AC 120
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3, the sick fish 6-8 inches excluding tail, fantail 1-2 inches without tail, black moor fantail 2-3 without tail, and a mystery snail
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Today, 25-30%, vacuumed and stirred sand (was dirtier than usual). I try to perform a WC at least once a week.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
11 years, 2 small ones are new (out of QT a week ago)
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
just the little fish
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
flakes and I've been feeding brine shrimp up to 2X a week

There's a lot of information between two different threads and it's a bit confusing. Just so we can get idea of where things are right now, can you clarify some things?

How long were the new fish qt'd? Is everyone displaying symptoms or just your original fish? What are your ammonia levels? What chemicals are in the tank right now?

the new ones were in QT for just over 3 weeks. the old one is the only one with symptoms, but the two small ones keep having large strands of poop.

I don't have a way to measure the ammonia, I use API test strips.

I have melafix (1 tsp per 10 gallons) and salt (1 tbs per 5 gallons) in at the moment.

I did a 50% WC today and replaced both mela and salt for the gallons I took out.

Also the old Goldie is looking a little more active today, but not a whole lot.

Thanks for responding :)

If possible, you really need to invest in proper liquid test kit. I wouldn't trust the strip readings and you don't know what your ammonia levels are. Adding the 2 fish possibly caused a spike in ammonia as you increased the bioload and the symptoms you are seeing are the result of this. I would stick to big daily wcs for now and see if there's improvement over the course of a week with lots of healthy water. Keep us posted!

Note: for future reference, most meds can not be mixed safely and can result lethal consequences

old Goldie is looking a lot better, he is moving around and begging for food but fins are still red. but I just noticed the smallest fantail is missing a chunk from his belly. I'm guessing ulcer?

here's a pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130626_183415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_183415.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 102
would it be from bad water?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130626_183939.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_183939.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20130626_183953.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_183953.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 83
Did this appear overnight? Yes, poor quality may have brought this on/weakened his immune system to the point he was susceptible to infection. Do you have medigold?

All I have at the moment is prazipro, melafix and the salt. I've been doing 40-50% water changes everyday (on day 4 now) and replacing the melafix and salt for the gallons I'm exchanging. No prazipro in the tank at the moment, I plan to preventively treat when I have these current chemicals out of the tank. The older goldfish is looking much better. He is no longer clamping, and is being his normal self. The redness has declined dramatically and is now only in the tips of his frayed tail.

The smallest fish, however, has an apparent swim bladder issue. I'm going to add blanched edemenes (soy beans) today, this won't harm the other fishes to eat, correct? This small fish is also the one with the wound. The wound does not look any better yet. I'm guessing I need the medigold to help it heal? Is there any way I can help it heal? I saw something on youtube about using a q-tip to put a little peroxide on wounds...

Thanks so much for helping me out! I'll buy a proper test kit if it isn't too expensive (a little strapped at the moment).

Did this appear overnight?

I didn't notice it the day before, but I don't think I was really keeping an eye out for it. My boyfriend is the one that noticed the wound.

Medigold would be best as it wouldn't affect your bacteria but we can work what's available at your lfs to treat the tank if this is what is easiest for you. Yes, you can carefully pick her up by her tummy and dab peroxide on the sore. If you have triple antibiotic ointment (for humans) dab a tiny bit on. Use the ointment, not cream. You can do this 1x a day but I suspect she may need more help than this.

Is she floaty or bottom sitting? You can try mushed, deshelled peas or bits cooked spinach. Epsom salt baths (1tsp/g for 15-20mins) may also help.

I'm going to head to the lfs and drugstore right now to pick up supplies. I'll keep you updated. the fish's rear keeps coming above his head. he is neither on the top or bottom, just unbalanced.

A chain such as Petsmart will carry basic antibiotics. Maracyn Plus would be my first choice. Another option would be a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. Expect to treat for 7-10 days and the possibility your good bacteria may be affected so wcs may be necessary. Please ask if you have questions!

Thanks!:):fish2:

I'll pick some up tomorrow. I'm in the middle of a large wc right now (60-65%)
Should I not add the melafix or salt since I am going to start a different treatment or should I finish the melafix treatment? On day 4 of dosing.

And salt?
Can I do prazi, mela, and salt all at once or will one of them have to wait?.
You can use something like kanamycin. Mentraisolde and praprasoile. (I just slaughtered those lol) to cover all your bases of antibiotic anti-parasite and fungus. Google it! Im on my phone my pc broke or i would help you more. These can be used in feed too. Try kensfish.com hes nice guy out of boston he has everything just sucks you gotta wait and pay shipping. He is cheap and once you got your water clean and your meds covered its really just up to the fish to be tough. Fancy bred fish are not as strong as wild variety due to inbreeding and survival if the fittest.

Back
Top Bottom