My Dalmation Mollies have yellow on them. Velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I never heard of Velvet until a few minutes ago. I noticed that my mollies have yellow or gold spots near their middle sections. The spots look about the same size as the black or white spots already on them, but I never noticed them before (doesn't mean they weren't always like that, I only just got them Saturday).

They don't appear unhealthy and I haven't seen them scratching against anything. They also eat algae wafers like they're going out of style! I don't think they are acting sick at all.

None of my other fish have this, and all are active.

My ammonia and nitrite are 0 and my nitrate is around 30 ppm (working on getting that down, the tap water I started the tank with is over 140) Temperature is 76 degrees.

I tried shining a flashlight on them with the lights off and I could see it shine but again, I don't know if it's been like that. Could that be part of the fish's color?

Most mollies have more then 2 colors i think you just missed tge tiny spots... I had mollies with black white and gold... I think it will be fine.

Thank you so much for putting my mind to rest. The gold really does look natural, I just didn't expect it, then started reading up on Velvet and got myself paranoid.

I'll keep an eye on them and watch for change in behavior, or see if it starts to spread, just to be safe.

EDIT: I found this, and the picture linked at the bottom of the answer looks very much like what I'm seeing, though mine has a little more http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100207120009AArczCt

i have 2 sailfin dalmation mollies and one has yellow spots and some on the edge of his fin and the other one has blue. really cool. nothing to worry about imo. i love to see the molly put that fin up. it sticks up about an inch and a half. it is awesome. :)

Back
Top Bottom