Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
My molly tried to eat an MTS and it died?

All in the title.... Shocked and devastated

Just want to know is it possible?
__________________

__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
butterfly_koi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: near Sedalia Missouri
Posts: 1,840
I've heard about fish eating them but never one dying from one. I'm sorry about your fish!
__________________

__________________
ďWhy does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my goodness.... I could be eating a slow learner! Ē
-Lynda Montgomery
butterfly_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi
I've heard about fish eating them but never one dying from one. I'm sorry about your fish!
It's alright it's just that I feel so bad it was in my care and it died
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly23

It's alright it's just that I feel so bad it was in my care and it died
I'm sorry for your loss. What's an MTS?
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad

I'm sorry for your loss. What's an MTS?
Malaysian trumpet snail with huge pointy shells. Very dangerous in hindsight.
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly23

Malaysian trumpet snail with huge pointy shells. Very dangerous in hindsight.
Oh wow that sucks. Are those the tiny white ones that sometimes come in on plants? I have those and now I'm worried!
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad

Oh wow that sucks. Are those the tiny white ones that sometimes come in on plants? I have those and now I'm worried!
I think they're only light or dark brown.They have long pointy shells. They're very pretty and I can't wait for them to breed! I just hope no more of my fish try to eat them. Maybe it took a casualty to know they're not a snack...
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly23

I think they're only light or dark brown.They have long pointy shells. They're very pretty and I can't wait for them to breed! I just hope no more of my fish try to eat them. Maybe it took a casualty to know they're not a snack...
Just over feed and bam you bred them!! Lifeoffroad your thinking of pond snails.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

Just over feed and bam you bred them!! Lifeoffroad your thinking of pond snails.
Lol it looks like they're all gone except for a few shells pointing up in the gravel. That's what they're here for :/ I thought I saw 3 couples breeding before they went in the gravel
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly23

Lol it looks like they're all gone except for a few shells pointing up in the gravel. That's what they're here for :/ I thought I saw 3 couples breeding before they went in the gravel
It only takes 1 to breed so it's not all that hard since they are after all asexual.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

It only takes 1 to breed so it's not all that hard since they are after all asexual.
Wow I didn't know that. Guess I'm here to learn though lol
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly23

Wow I didn't know that. Guess I'm here to learn though lol
Lol learn new things everyday! Most people get infested with MTS just watch out don't want to many!
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Sounds like a freak accident, I'd call this a one-off and let darwin have one point.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

Lol learn new things everyday! Most people get infested with MTS just watch out don't want to many!
Oh but I do!!! Have to supply 6 tanks!! A total of 87 gallons!!!
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I live in the atl
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Sounds like a freak accident, I'd call this a one-off and let darwin have one point.
Hahaha lol!
__________________

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

Just over feed and bam you bred them!! Lifeoffroad your thinking of pond snails.
Yeah. I hate those things. But my clown loaches love them! Lol
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad

Yeah. I hate those things. But my clown loaches love them! Lol
Actually they aren't pond snails. I just looked up these MTS and they look very much like these but only about 1/8 long. Very tiny. And once they are in your tank they go nuts. Went from a few to a few thousand like overnight.
__________________

__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
die, died, eat, molly, mts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.