My mother has a problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just arrived at my moms house to find her goldfish have ich. I didn't bring a test kit with me so I will go back for it later. She has a thirty gallon hex with two feeder that she used to cycle with, and she just bought three others (against my recommendation) from walmart. I don't know what type they are, only that they all have ich. I just want to double check, I can raise the temp to 80* is that enough? Or should I use meds?
Tia

Also how long do I treat them? Another thing, I have been doing a bit of research, and some are saying 1 teaspoon per gallon, some 1 tablespoon per gallon. Which is it??

*edit* I just read the package and it says 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. This is too confusing. I am going to start them off with one tablespoon. The temp is at 70, I am going to turn up the heat to 72. somebody stop me if this sounds bad.

argh! I just tested her water, and it looks like she is in the middle of a cycle. Ammonia is at 2.0ppm No nitrites no nitrates. She said she added some water this morning but I don't know if that means she did a water change or what. I will talk to her later. SO does she continue with water changes? I really want to help her out. And I have never dealt with ich. What do I doooo?

I think she is going to have to keep doing water changes if her ammonia is high. That will only stress the sick fish even more. I've had success with Rid Ich on my goldfish...make sure to do more than the meds say...the package usually says that it treats Ich in 2-3 days but it takes more like 7-10 days AFTER the spots are off the fish...once those spots fall off the fish, the disease isn't gone. They are in the water and trying to reproduce. You need to kill them at this stage. good luck!

Meds are your best bet here....to wipe out ich with heat, you need temps pf 84ºF+, and the goldfish are unlikely to survive such temps (even 80ºF is going to be pushing it). ...and make sure you heavily aerate if you raise the temps.

I already dosed with a tblspoon of salt. Should I call her and tell her to pick up some rid ich? Do a water change and then medicate?

Back
Top Bottom