Mysterious Cory deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dd101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I have an issue with my corys which started a while ago now. First noticed it when one of the Cory's was acting strange - lethargic at first and resting in odd places, then rapid breathing and laying at strange angles/ on its side. After a few days this Cory died. There were no physical signs of illness at all. A few days later another Cory started acting the same way and died the next day. This has now killed 4 Cory's, one by one. All other fish in the tank seem completely fine, and the other Cory's at the moment seem completely fine.

Tank is 50 gallons and contains 8 cardinal tetras, 7 ember tetras, 1 BN pleco and 3 amano shrimp. There were 7 delphax corys, now 3.

Water seems fine, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and 15 Nitrate. 24-25 degrees Celsius. Cory's are fed a mixture of wafers, bloodworm and pellets and seem to eat OK. Most of the Cory's that died were 2-5 years old and seemed healthy until recently.

Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do?

Great job keeping the Cory Cats alive & healthy for so long. In the best of circumstances the life span of most Cories is 5 yrs.
Considering the tankmates are thriving, I suspect your Cories simply aged out.
A visit to the LFS always makes one feel better after a fish loss.

Great job keeping the Cory Cats alive & healthy for so long. In the best of circumstances the life span of most Cories is 5 yrs.
Considering the tankmates are thriving, I suspect your Cories simply aged out.
A visit to the LFS always makes one feel better after a fish loss.

That was my thought when the first two died as they were the oldest. The 2 that have died since were only around 2 years old unfortunately :( hopefully the rest survive.

Back
Top Bottom