Mystery Betta Ailment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I did a silly thing and talked my LFS into just giving me three of their not-dead-yet male Bettas. My case was helped by the fact that I pointed to the stack of three dead Betta cups I'd found already that morning. I said - these fish will be dead in a few hours if they stay here, just let me take 'em home and see what happens. They went for it and I started my Betta Hospice.

A male veil tale had horrible clamped fins and I was sure he would be the first to go. But clean water with a tiny bit of salt and he is doing great so far. A half moon double tail has dreadful fin rot, and though he isn't making a miraculous recovery, he seems to be improving slowly.
But the third one, another half moon double tail was just laying there. His Fins were slightly damaged, but no other signs of illness. Just laying there on the bottom of the tank. Not eating. No bulged belly, no visible ich or parasites, just laying on his side. He died yesterday and I'm just stumped. It was almost like he died of exhaustion and malaise... Obviously he is dead and I am not asking for care advice - but has anyone seen this before?

shock? Water params changed too fast?

Also, Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Salt + Labrynth fish = bad?
EDIT: And I very well could be wrong... don't panic. lol

I had a male I had bought that would NEVER eat & always hid out in his cave, other than that he didn't appear to have anything wrong. It took about 6 weeks for to him pass. Sorry he didn't make it but you tried which is more than most people can say.

shock? Water params changed too fast?

Also, Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Salt + Labrynth fish = bad?
EDIT: And I very well could be wrong... don't panic. lol

lol, no you aren't wrong - there are lots of opinions on this. ditto for "betta fix" -- some people say they have seen their fish die from the bettafix... i tend to only use salt when the fin rot is really extreme and the chances of them developing a secondary infection are high. and i use less aquarium salt than recommended. so far I have had no problems using it and I do think that it has helped at times.

I would agree that it could be shock, and/or ammonia poisoning... the betta cup he was in actually had algae growing on it. I wonder what his journey to the store was like.

I had a male I had bought that would NEVER eat & always hid out in his cave, other than that he didn't appear to have anything wrong. It took about 6 weeks for to him pass. Sorry he didn't make it but you tried which is more than most people can say.

yeah, this sounds the same to me. so sorry for your guy. I am betting that it is something to do with poor breeding practices, stressful shipping, and bad water quality that does some sort of damage to their internal processes and they never bounce back.

Back
Top Bottom