Neon Tetra Behavior - Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have recently added 5 neon tetras to my 10 gallon tank. Sometimes they swim around like normal fish but other times I see them "scaling" the glass. They will basically put their heads to the glass and swim up and down. I don't know if this is because they see their reflections and want to swim though the glass lol. All of them physically are good. I see no signs of damage on any of them. It seems like when they are swimming normally they see their reflections and try to school with them.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Sounds like perfectly normal behavior for new fish. They should become accustomed to the tank soon and the behavior should stop. Make sure nothing is chasing/picking on them (other fish if you have any) and they have places to hide if need be.

Okay thank you. There is one flame tetra that chases them every once in a while, but it also swims next to them as if it were apart of their school so I do not think that is a big problem.

I know when I first added them the same flame tetra was "hunting" them down and nipping them. Now he seems fine with their presence, as long as they don't come into his little corner though lol. If they do he chases them for 1 second and returns to his little spot. :)

Back
Top Bottom