neon tetra- disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a school of eight neon tetras. Most of them are healthy and colorful, but I have a question on two of them.

Two of them have developed brownish sploches in their red portion, especially near the tail. The coloration definately looks like it's pigment or under the scales, not fungus or something above.

I managed to get one in quarantine, (I was able to catch him quite easily)and he's been there a week. This one also has something weird with his eyes. He has a white ring that runs around the eye just inside of the black part. He can see and eat fine though, he was a little skinny before (not scary skiny, just not fat), but has filled out a little by himself.

The other one I've been trying to catch, but I can't get him without tearing up the entire tank. The other one has a a black mouth a kind of protruding lips, he's been this way for several weeks, and I don't know if it's normal or something odd. He eats fine, and although the other tetras tend to chase him a bit he still schools with them and eats normally, although he is a little skinnier than the others.

Am I just being parinoid? I want to catch anything as early as possible, if I can. They haven't changed much in coloration or behavior beyond this.

They are in a 55 gallon with
2 buenos aries tetras
3 lemon tetras
5 pristnella tetras
1 dwarf gourami
6 cories
3 pygamy cories

When I checked my parameters this week.

pH- 6.8-7
kH- 35.8 ppm
gH- 161.1 ppm
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Ammonia 5-10 ppm
Temp is usually around 79

I have had the tetras for two years, and this tank has been set up for 6 months or so.

Any input would be helpful!

Your tank parameters look fine. Did you recently get the fish, or have you had them for a while?

I'm unsure as to what reccomend. Your fish could have the beginnings of NTD (The brown discoloration and issues with the eye, would suggest that). I would try and get the other infected fish, if at all possible, and observe them alone. Make sure none of the other fish start showing the same signs.

Hope someone else might be able to reccomend something else for you to do.

I was afraid it might be, but there is no white discoloration, and they are otherwise behaving normally. I have had them for 2 years. I'll keep trying to get the other one, but he is really quick at getting into the vegetation. Is NTD ever transmitted to other fish, besides tetras/danios? I have a jullii cory in quarintene also.

Back
Top Bottom